Top 10 Concert Venues in Philly

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

Every weekend tons of Philadelphians flock to Philly’s dozens of music venues to see great artists that vary in fame, talent and fortune. Most of the time, we hear about the incredible artist and their show but it seems that we never hear about the venue itself. So, I have listed my top ten favorite music venues in Philadelphia and why I think they are so special.

10. Electric Factory

Electric Factory is a General Admission venue that usually appears high on most lists. The intimacy of being in a GA crowd is an experience unlike any other. The music lineup that the Electric Factory attracts is usually great, but it is sometimes hard to get over the poor acoustics in this venue. The acoustics have failed to please me in the multiple times that I have been here and it often results in a frustrated crowd. Depending on the show it can also become extremely overcrowded. So although the Electric Factory is cool in many ways, the overcrowding and the poor acoustics make this venue number ten on my list.

Photo Credit: Samantha Joyce

9.  Mann Center

This half seated, half general admission (lawn) venue is a large venue with a great view of the city skyline and it is no wonder why it attracts such amazing artists during the spring and summer. If you are looking for a relaxed venue that has an amazing “hang out” feeling, look no further! The only down side to the Mann is that it is truly buyer beware on the lawn. The lawn is small and people are often crammed which can make it difficult to see the stage.

Photo Credit: Samantha Joyce

8. The Fillmore

The Fillmore is a newer venue here in Philadelphia. Located at a prime location in Fishtown, this GA venue usually packs a great crowd as it has already hosted a large amount of artists. From the historic building to the amazing décor, the venue itself is a great experience. Just look out for their tough security before you enter!

7. River Stage

This venue has a stage that is outdoors and overlooks the Delaware River for an incredible waterfront view. The view is the main reason why I love this venue so much and I suggest to go here at least once during your stay here in Philly. Although, the limited artist list can make it hard though to find a time to attend this great little venue.

6. Johnny Brenda’s

Johnny Brenda’s is a small little venue that has a dark mysterious feeling that most of us love to feel a part of at one time or another. Johnny Brenda’s hosts such a great variety of artists that it you’re unlikely to be bored with this great spot. So many people are a fan of this place so it can be difficult to get in.

5. The Piazza at Schmidt’s

The Piazza is a venue that will forever remain my favorite, but cannot go any higher on my list as it barely a venue anymore. For some time, The Piazza, located in Fishtown, was the go-to location for many great GA outdoor shows that brought together new and old artist alike. With the Piazza being rebranded as The Schmidt’s Commons, it is now regarded as more of an event center rather than a concert venue. Only time will tell what will become of this place, though we can only hope it returns to its glory days.

Photo Credit: Samantha Joyce

4. World Café Live

World Café is a venue unlike any other as it houses Philly’s great radio station WXPN. It also has two stages, which allows for two completely different acts to be playing at the same time. This venue is one that hosts a ton of artists in a variety of different genres, allowing everyone to find something that they like. The artists here are typically local bands, jazz musicians or popular indie bands.

Photo Credit: Samantha Joyce

3. Theater of the Living Arts (TLA)

This South Street venue is one that truly captures the feeling of Philly. This is a place that has a history you can feel the moment you walk through the door. A host to some of the world’s best artists, the great sound and views of the stage certainly make this place an unforgettable venue.

Photo Credit: Samantha Joyce

2. Academy of Music

Academy of Music is one of Philadelphia’s most grand venues. Built in 1855 as America’s first Opera House, this venue and opera house is one a visitor can feel entertained in even without a performer on the stage.

Photo Credit: Samantha Joyce

1.  Union Transfer

Union Transfer is a venue where you are guaranteed to have a great time. From its great artist list to the lobby bar and balconies, Union Transfer is a venue that has it all without taking away from the artist’s performance. For me, this venue always seems to deliver and is truly a place that is impossible to disappoint.

Photo Credit: Samantha Joyce

As always, thanks for reading! What are some of your favorite venues?

If you ever need to find me just look for the girl with her face buried in her journal...good luck getting my attention though!