Rambassador Profile: Gianna DeWitt

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

Gianna DeWitt, also knows as Gia, came to PhilaU from Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey to major in Graphic Designs Communication. As a Rambassador on PhilaU’s campus, I interviewed Gia to get a better idea of what her job as a Ram is like.

Q: What made you choose PhilaU?

A: I have always gone to small schools and graduated from a tiny high school at a career academy in the Monmouth County Vocational School District that specialized in the communications field. So when I toured PhilaU’s campus, its intimate, one-on-one atmosphere felt familiar. There is a lot more diversity at PhilaU than there was at the other schools I applied to. As a second-semester high school senior touring the campus, I could easily see myself as part of PhilaU’s undergraduate student body.

Q: What drew you to your major?

A: I’ve always enjoyed doing layouts for projects and presentations. I designed my first flyer for a Girl Scout trip in fourth grade, complete with clip art and Lucida Typewriter font. When I was 11, I made my mom an 8-page magazine on Microsoft Word and bound it with Scotch tape. I continued doing my little design projects over the years, and somewhere along the way someone gave my hobby a name: graphic design. Ever since then, I’ve continued and developed my interest and education in the field. Luckily, I have yet to fall out of love with it.

Q: What made you want to be a Rambassador?

A: At my high school, students go through a highly-competitive application and testing process to attend.[C.S.1]  As an upper-classman (sophomore through senior year), I ran the school’s open houses as both a tour guide and a keynote speaker. Through the open houses, I learned how much I enjoyed giving tours and education people about the school. Becoming a Rambassador seemed like the most natural step when I began to attend PhilaU.

Q: What’s the best thing you’ve learned while being a Rambassador?

A: While this is my first semester as a Rambassador, I did help run all three open houses last year, both as a tour guide and as a greeter. What stands out to me about this job is the importance of detail—not in the “stats and rankings” sense, but more in the “people remember the little things” sense. They may not remember all of the information you spout at them, but they do remember a tour guide’s energy. Was she excited? Was she tired? Was there just something about her that was intriguing and made you want to listen? I’ve found that making someone remember you or the school by doing something small is what will stay with them as they continue the college-hunting process. It may even be the deal maker/breaker for their final decision.

Q: Do you have a favorite “fun fact” about PhilaU?

A: There are lots of kinds of chairs on campus. Some the bests ones are in hidden nooks.[C.S.2]

Q: What advice would you give to new students?

A: Do your work early, especially pre-writing for papers, and nap often!

Kellyn Kemmerer

Jefferson '19

Senior Textile Materials Technology student from a small town in Northeastern Pennsylvania. You can find her watching Food Network or funny cat videos, making lengthy Spotify playlists, window shopping, writing, and reading.