How to Properly Quit a Job

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

It is very rare for anyone to live their entire life without going through the awkwardness of quitting a job. Some people fantasize of telling off their boss and slamming the door on their way out like in movies. While this is perfectly fine to do, chances are you will most likely need your current employer as a reference in the future. Whether you’re moving on to better opportunities or just miserable with your current employer, here are some tips on how to gracefully resign without burning bridges.

1. Make sure you really want to quit. There’s a big difference between a bad job and a bad week. Work can be frustrating sometimes, so make sure that you absolutely want to resign before actually telling everyone. If you’re having any doubts, make a list of the pros and cons of leaving before telling your boss.

2. Give plenty of notice. Depending on your job, some companies require more of a head’s up than others, but usually 2 weeks is a standard amount of time. This gives the managers enough time to work out scheduling so your absence doesn’t leave other employees short-handed.

3. Tell your boss first. When you are absolutely sure quitting is the best decision, let your boss know before telling your co-workers. Words spread like wildfire, especially in the workplace. You don’t want your boss finding out that you’re quitting from anyone other than you. Depending on where you work and your relationship with your boss, you can either tell them verbally or write a formal letter.

4. Be honest. If you’re moving on to another opportunity, tell them this. Similarly, if your reason for leaving is because you feel you are being treated unfairly, it is best to let them know this. Most places will give an exit interview where they ask how they can improve as a company. Some things can’t be changed, but you’ll feel better knowing you voiced your opinion and potentially made things better for your co-workers.

5. Don’t slack off. Typically, when people put in their 2 weeks, it seems pointless to continue working. However, this is not fair to your fellow employees. You are still counted on by them to do your fair share of work. And remember, you may still need to use your boss as a reference in the future, so slacking off is not an option.

Carly Brisach is a 2nd year Fashion Design major at PhilaU. She is also an animal lover, fashion blogger and self-proclaimed SNL enthusiast. Aside from writing for Her Campus, she enjoys knitting, crocheting and weaving. Check out her Etsy shop Handmade96!