How to Handle Homesickness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

The first few weeks of college can be a difficult adjustment. Suddenly, you’re living without your parents and with random roommates you may have never met before, making new friends and taking difficult classes. Moving away from home is one of the hardest parts of going away to college. So how do you avoid letting homesickness dampen your experience?

1.  Get involved and stay busy. There are so many opportunities to express yourself on campus. Join a club, attend campus events and explore the area around you! You can find out what’s going on around your school by checking out your school’s website or keeping an eye out for flyers around campus.  
  2. Eat a food that reminds you of home. If you used to eat green beans at home all the time, make sure you bring some cans of green beans with you to school and heat them up to eat whenever you need a little extra boost. The extra dose of protein can’t hurt either!  
  3. Socialize and try to make friends. Put yourself out there and talk to new people. There are many people  is in the same situation as you who want to meet people that they can connect with. Who knows, your future best friend could be sitting right next to you! Surround yourself with good people and you’ll thrive.  
  4. If you live close enough, visit home. It’s nice to see your family after you have been away for a few weeks. However, going home too soon (or too often) and hearing about how much your family misses you can really mess with your process of becoming independent and adapting to your new environment.  
  5. Realize that you’re not alone. A lot of people experience homesickness and your roommate is probably one of them. There are so many people you can reach out to when you need to talk, including a friend, a roommate or your RA. Whether you only moved a few miles away or are an ocean away from your home, it is totally normal to feel homesick.

It’s okay to be upset the first night or two you move away, it’s even okay to cry a little bit! Just try not to be upset for too long. Enjoy your newfound independence and this exciting time in your life.

Cora Burns

Jefferson '20

Trying to figure it out and writing about it as I go.