Flashback Friday: Mummer’s Mardi Gras Parade

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

This past weekend, I attended one of my favorite events in Manayunk, the Philadelphia Mummers Mardi Gras Parade. I attended it last year with a few friends but this year was better due to the weather- the sun was out, the air was warm (for February) and overall it put everyone in a great mood.

Having gone two years in a row, the Mardi Gras parade has quickly become my favorite event to go to in Manayunk. Families young and old line Main Street while the Philadelphia Mummers march down with their extremely colorful and elaborate costumes and instruments. The marchers come in waves and play different songs. Some bands blew confetti into the air while others hand out beaded necklaces in exchange for a small donation that goes to support the Mummers.

It was fun to see everyone so enthusiastic for the parade – kids danced to the music while adults clapped. Some people brought foldable outdoor seats so that they can claim their spot along Main Street. Others brought their dogs (we saw probably about sixty dogs total and it was great!). For lunch you can either sit outside at one of Manayunk’s many restaurants and watch the parade as you eat or, you can grab a quick bite at a food truck. This year, I had a steak hoagie from one of the pop-up food stands and it was delicious.

Overall, the afternoon was filled a lot of fun and festivities. Manayunk is an easy walk away so even if you missed the parade, I’d highly suggest walking down there sometime this spring as the weather gets warmer. With the little local shops and the charming restaurants, Manayunk is a great place to spend an afternoon. For more information about upcoming Mummers parades in other locations, visit the Mummer’s website.

Happy Mardi Gras!

Abbey is a student at Philadelphia University where she is studying graphic design. In her free time, she loves to be at the beach, travel to new places (especially in Philly), and play board games with friends.