david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Clowns Exposed: Rumor vs. Truth

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

The clown epidemic has gone viral within the past couple of months, but is it real or just a hoax? The famous clown with the bright red hair, rubber nose, big shoes and painted face we all know from childhood birthday parties might just have a run for his money. The media has been going wild with stories of clowns hiding in the woods, threating schools, and disrupting the surrounding community. Is it true? Could we possibly have a clown epidemic on our hands (just in time for Halloween)? Pretty dramatic, but here’s what we do know:

1. We’re falling for it.  There are so many videos out there of clown sightings, it’s hard to decipher which ones are real and fake.  But they do send you through the stages of excitement, curiosity, and possibly fear.

2. Thoughtless jokes could result in violence.  There aren’t many, but California, Colorado, Missouri, Ohio and Massachusetts have had clown threats made to local schools, which have resulted in arrests and even “clown hunts.”  People are beginning to arm themselves with guns in order to protect themselves and their loved ones.  A simple, senseless act is able to put communities in fear for their lives.

3. Clowns now have national recognition. Claims of clowns roaming the streets are occurring in a number of states including Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Michigan, Mississippi, New York – and the list goes on.  These sighting are a mix of rumors, hoax videos, false claims and school warnings, arrests, and most of all, fear.  As comical as it may seem, safety is the number one issue at hand.  Social media will manage to increase our fear and interest in the unknown with viral videos and an endless black hole of Clown theories.

4. It’s important to be smart. As always, be aware of your surroundings and make an effort to never walk alone at night.  Now for all the coulrophobes out there, this is a trying time, but this epidemic will fade out soon enough. 

Ps. Don’t be clown for Halloween and stay safe everyone! 

XOXO – HC

Hello! My name is Lauren French. I'm 21. A senior at Philadelphia University, majoring in Fashion Merchandising and Management. I love the fall season, trying new food, movies, traveling, diys, and shopping! I also love networking and meeting new people!