Wanted Alive: Pre and Post Valentine’s Day Self Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pepperdine chapter.

As many of us know, thanks to Leslie Knope all the single ladies have their own day, Galentine’s Day, and it has been welcomed with warm arms and love filled messages to all of the girl gang members roll out in waves. Valentine’s day has also become the “Treat Yo’ Self” day filled with proclamations of “I can buy myself roses” and “I don’t have to have a Valentine to be happy”, all of which are true, but there is something important that people have forgotten.

You can do all that any day of the year.

Yes, celebrate yourself! Take the day to do something special for you and the gals! Turn Galentine’s and Valentine’s day into a double feature girls day, but remember you don’t have to wait for a certain day to do so. You don’t even have to wait for Self-Care Sunday or New Year’s Day. Treat yourself and your girlfriends like the queens you all are every day.

Got it? Let’s practice.

It’s March 14, and you walk by a flower shop. You’ve been wanting some flowers for a while, but don’t have a bae to buy you some, and you don’t feel like throwing a dinner party. What do you do?

Answer: Buy yourself some flowers.

I think you’re getting it, but one more:

It’s Wednesday, and you haven’t been doing so hot in one class. You haven’t seen your girls in a little and you don’t have class tomorrow. You’d love to see them, but don’t have anything special in mind to explain wanting to have them over. What do you do?

Answer: Invite them over for anything: movies, pizza, face masks, etc. Same day delivery is magical.

So to recap, you don’t need a special day to celebrate the amazing person that you are, so be the amazing person that you are every day, and slay at self-love.

Photo by bruce mars from Pexels

Melissa Locke

Pepperdine '21

This is my senior year of college and I'm a Public Relations major with a Creative Writing outside concentration. I was born and raised in So-Cal and love it so much I couldn't go too far. As much as South California is my home, I adore traveling and learning about other cultures. A Disney fan to the core you can find me watching any of their movies, or breaking my bank account at Disneyland, and if not I'll probably be reading, writing, or enjoying the Malibu climate.