This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pepperdine chapter.

Have a little extra time? Looking for something to do while you are at the beach? Why not pick up the hobby of reading books! Here are some titles that I have found super fun to read and some that I am anticipating to read.

1. The Candymakers 

This is a very light-hearted book filled with delicious surprises. What makes it special: the story is told from the perspectives of four different children. It is a fairly easy read, but it the suspense in it that will keep you turning page after page.

2. The Selection Series

There are five books in this series, and I would highly recommend this book if you enjoy reading romance novels. What makes it special: For me, I felt like Kierra writes this book in a way that makes the reader not want to put down the book. Each book is filled with suspenseful excitement, keeping you on your toes in expectation of what is coming.

3. The Last Princess

This is a book by Galaxy Craze. It is a dystopian romance novel that takes place in a time in which the world is near destruction. There is actually a sequel to it, but I have not had the chance to read it yet.

What makes it special: I think the plot of this story was just really beautifully thought out. There are many similarities between this novel and other dystopian novel, but I would have to say that I enjoyed this on the most.

4. We were Liars

I was absolutely in love with this book after I read it. It is a mystery and you were just not able to predict what was coming; the ending blew my mind! What makes it special: This book was not something I would normally read, but I have no regrets after reading it. The narrator of this story is really unstable, so we as the readers get to experience her journey through her lens which is a pretty bumpy but totally awesome ride.

5. The Nightingale

This is a book that I am planning to read this year. It is a historical fiction, and I first came across it while I was searching through my local library’s online catalogue—looking for some good books to read. However, after I got the book, I never found the time to read it, so I returned it. It was not till my roommate once again recommended it to me, that I decided to put it on my reading list this year.

6. The Night Circus

This is another book I am planning to read in the upcoming months. It is a fantasy novel that one of my friends recommended. I read some of the reviews people had on it, and they were pretty positive, so I am excited to read it!