This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pepperdine chapter.

Leaving home means different things to different people. For some, it means freedom. These people are more than happy to be free to explore college and to develop themselves as an individual, which is good. However, there are others, such as me, that have struggled with homesickness. Whether this means that you miss your family or even your hometown, here are some tips and tricks that have helped me cure homesickness.

1. Keep in contact

This is the beauty of technology in our day and age. We have the power at our fingers to see our loved ones, despite them being maybe thousands of miles away. This tip may seem obvious to some, but I am the kind of person who finds myself getting caught up in college so fast. I forget to check in on the ones I love, and while I know I should devote myself to my studies, I believe that it is important to receive encouragement. Just hearing the sound of someone’s voice could be enough to make you feel right at home.

2. Eat your favorite foods

Or, more specifically, eat foods that you ate when you were at home. I know this can be hard to do when you live in a dorm, but for me, even just a box of macaroni and cheese has the power to transport me back to my living room couch at home. If this food is not perishable and you can’t find it near you, ask for some help! I’m sure someone in your family would be happy to send you a care package. If not, you can buy some in bulk the next time you go home.

3. Watch old television

One of my favorite pastimes is watching old shows or movies that I used to love when I was a kid. I’m still upset that they took Courage the Cowardly Dog off of Netflix, because that was my go-to show when I was feeling nostalgic. Of course, it’s always possible for find something when you try hard enough. I like to go back to my favorite childhood movie, How the Grinch Stole Christmas. I used to watch it on repeat, even during the summer. Switching this on takes me back to times that felt easier.

4. Stalk social media

This might sound sort of creepy, but Facebook is one of the best places to find old photos and other treasures! If you just scroll far enough you may find something that surprises you. Looking back through the memories that you made with your family and your friends will remind you of your loved ones and that they’re only a phone call away.

5. Remind yourself

Most importantly, remind yourself of why you are here. Remind yourself of how proud your parents or other family members are. You’ve taken a big step coming here, and you’re ready to work hard to prove them right. This is just the first step to a brighter future for yourself and for your loved ones.

Photo by twenty20.com

SaveSave