books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Campus Profile: Mathew Cres San Jose

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pepperdine chapter.

Year: Senior

Zodiac Sign: Taurus 

Favorite Movie: (Currently) The Impossible

Favorite Broadway Show: Newsies 

Favorite Actor: That’s a tough one. I have a top three, though—Johnny Depp, Benedict Cumberbatch, and Hugh Jackman.

Are you currently acting?

Yes, I am currently acting.

What are you working on?

I am currently playing the role of Karen’s Father in Pepperdine’s production of The Interference.

Have you been or will you be in any other school productions this year?​

This year, I have been in Crazy For You, as well as the student-directed production of I and You. I have also been in multiple films for students this school year. I am hoping to be in more before the year ends.

Are the student films for Pepperdine, as well?

I did two films for Pepperdine and yes, the rest were created independently by Pepperdine students.

Are you working on any other films now or soon?

I am working on a few dance film projects currently, hopefully there’s more to come soon.

Are you dancing in them or working behind the scenes?​

I’m dancing in them and choreographing.

What are some of your post-graduation goals?

Eventually, I hope to book an agent and be successful in either Hollywood or Broadway, though I’m leaning more toward Hollywood. I hope to serve in my local church, as well and raise a family down the line. My immediate goals would be to find a job that fulfills my creative desire while still helping the community around me.

What are your thoughts on the Pepperdine Theatre program?​

I think that the department is very underrated in terms of talent and productions. We put up quality shows every year and I’ve had friends come from the program that have gotten into Juilliard, NYU, and Yale for graduate school, as well as a few who are currently working. I think that the program does its best with the resources and people it has to foster our growth as artists and more importantly, good people who care about the art that we produce.

What advice do you have for people who want to pursue theater arts?

My advice: be a strong person with integrity and never do things you’re uncomfortable with just because you feel it might be “your shot.” Understand who you are as a person and always remember that we should be passionate about what we do and love and appreciate the people around us. Also, life is a growing process and it’s okay to make mistakes so long as we learn from them. 

Paola Ramos

Pepperdine

I'm a Pepperdine University senior from Texas. I'm a Leo, a total dog lover, and an avid reader. Spanish is my first language, so I am bilingual and working on being trilingual (I just need to turn my conversational French into fluent French). I love to write; it's a way of life!