This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pepperdine chapter.

Year: Senior

Hometown: North California

Major: Journalism with an emphasis in English Literature

Zodiac Sign: Leo

Favorite Food: Mexican Food

Favorite Book: Count of Monte Cristo

Favorite Movie: Age of Adaline

Image Courtesy of @keepingitkrischic on Instagram

What initially interested you in fashion?

Growing up, my mom got me interested when I found her Vogue Magazine and was intrigued by the clothes pictured in the magazines. I admired the beauty of clothes and recognized the artistry behind making clothes. That made me pay attention to how I dressed.

When did you start your blog?

I started my blog in my senior year of high school because I was constantly told that I dressed well growing up. As a sophomore I decided that I wanted to go into fashion magazine industry and figured a blog would be a good way to start practicing. 

What would you say is the hardest part of running a blog/Instagram?

Personally the hardest part for me is perfectionism. I want each photo to look amazing and work together. Consistency is another challenge because you want to stay active, but not use up all your content so I try to post at least once a week. Balancing between school and work can be difficult especially when it comes to finding time to take photos.

How has your passion helped you in your career?

My passion has helped me gain footing and helped me discover my writing voice. You need a certain take or focus in your writing; for me it is looking at history and historical fashion. I like looking at vintage fashion, as my bio says; “Forward Thinker w/ a Vintage Soul”. 

Who was your favorite company to work for/with? Why?

All of them were really great for different reasons. Darling Magazine, E News!; each taught me how to write and express myself. I enjoyed the people and mentorship that I received that taught me something different about the communication of fashion, and the fashion world.

Do you think it’s important for everyone to be knowledgeable about fashion?

Yes! Fashion can be seen as frivolous, but it’s an unconscious expression of ourselves as individuals, in society, and in our place history. What we wear is a part of our personality, and like any other art you should know a bit about it and be aware about it. 

What are some of your tips for anyone interested in fashion or running a successful blog?

Do it because you love it, not for followers. Make sure to be consistent and don’t be afraid to be yourself. A lot of people think to be a fashion blogger you have to fit certain criteria, but you don’t need to fit into a stereotype. Some of the most successful bloggers don’t. 

To check out Kristin’s writing and fashion follow her on instagram @keepingitkrischic and her blog https://keepingitkrischic.com

Melissa Locke

Pepperdine '21

This is my senior year of college and I'm a Public Relations major with a Creative Writing outside concentration. I was born and raised in So-Cal and love it so much I couldn't go too far. As much as South California is my home, I adore traveling and learning about other cultures. A Disney fan to the core you can find me watching any of their movies, or breaking my bank account at Disneyland, and if not I'll probably be reading, writing, or enjoying the Malibu climate.