samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Best Places for Friday Night Drinks in Malibu

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pepperdine chapter.

We all know that Malibu isn’t exactly known for its nightlife. However, there are some nights when all you want to do is go get a glass of wine or a cocktail with friends. And you probably don’t want to go all the way to Santa Monica or DTLA for it. Most of us assume that Malibu doesn’t have much to offer—and if you’re looking to party, you’re probably right—but, there are a few bars around the city that are perfect for a more relaxed night hanging with friends. Here are a few suggestions!

1. The Sunset: This quintessential Malibu locale is a great place to go to for drinks; get there before the sun sets and watch the beauty unfold as the sun slowly hides behind the crashing waves of the Pacific. It also helps that the happy hour goes until 9 pm on weeknights, so take advantage of this on a Friday! (It starts at 3 pm).

2. Gladstones: Where Sunset Blvd. meets PCH! This restaurant is a Malibu landmark that’s been around since 1972. It closes at 10 pm, but it is still a great option for earlier nights; you will also have a great ocean view!

3. Moonshadows: This is a great place to go to if you’re planning on a later night. It is open until 1:30 am on Fridays and Saturdays and until midnight every other day. The Blue Lounge is also host to several DJs. 

4. Ollie’s Duck and Dive: As described on the website, it is a Malibu restaurant/pub that often has live music. It stays open until midnight on weekends.

5. Rosenthal: A great place for wine tasting! The tasting room is located on PCH near Topanga Canyon and it has a great outdoor area that is often a place where guests can enjoy live music and purchase food from several food trucks that make their way there. This is also a great spot for photos!

6. Ollo: Located in central Malibu, this is a great spot to hit up for a relaxed night with friends. It’s a great place to just sit at the bar and order a glass of wine in while enjoying the hip atmosphere. 

7. Cafe Habana: This is a great place for a margarita. There is also karaoke on Wednesday nights. 

8. Nobu: There is no need to reserve a spot at the bar, but you will probably want to make your way there a little later in the night to give yourself the best chance at finding a seat. However, once you do find one, enjoy the ambiance and your time with friends. This is Malibu at its finest!

Paola Ramos

Pepperdine

I'm a Pepperdine University senior from Texas. I'm a Leo, a total dog lover, and an avid reader. Spanish is my first language, so I am bilingual and working on being trilingual (I just need to turn my conversational French into fluent French). I love to write; it's a way of life!