This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pepperdine chapter.

Most of us collegiettes have staple beauty products to get us through life. These products are our go-tos and seem to make everything better; but let’s face it, ladies, buying them often results in a blow to our bank accounts. Unfortunately for us, the most renowned prouducts tend to be the ones that are more expensive. As someone who is obsessed with trying out new products and making my bathroom a personal spa, I know this routine all too well. So what do we do when we really want that Le Mer moisturizer or Caudalie night cream that just about every celebrity is endorsing? Well, first, we should check out PETA’s Cruelty Free List to make sure we aren’t harming any cute little animals by purchasing the products we are so devoted to. Then, we can consider some alternatives…

1. Face Wash: We all know how vital it is to wash our make up off every night! And it is also important to wash away any sleepiness we may still have in the morning. There are so many face wash options out there, and it can get overwhelming when it comes to picking and choosing, but you may want to consider these the next time you’re shopping for a new one.
  • If you want to splurge, you may want to try Laura Mercier’s Flawless Skin Purifying Cleansing Oil, as oil based cleansers are a good option to keep the skin hydrated and glowing! (Available at lauramercier.com and Sephora: $40)
  • If you’re saving up, a great alternative is the Burt’s Bees Soap Bark & Chamomile Deep Cleansing Cream. The cream based cleanser will wash the day away without being hard on your skin. (Available at burtsbees.com and Target: $8)

2. Sunblock: It is so important to wear sunblock EVERY. SINGLE. DAY! We are exposed to so many UVA and UVB rays throughout the day, that it is of utmost importance that we take care of our skin.

• If you want to splurge, my personal favorite is Coola’s Face SPF 30 Unscented Moisturizer. This sunblock comes in the form of a moisturizer, and it always leaves me feeling fresh and ready to conquer the day, plus there is also a cucumber scented option. (Available at coolasuncare.com: $32)
  • If you’re saving up, a good alternative is the Yes to Cucumbers Daily Calming Moisturizer with SPF 30. It isn’t always easy to find face moisturizers with SPF 30+, so this is a fantastic option. (Available at yestocarrots.com and Target: $15)

3. BB Cream: With our busy schedules, there never seems to be enough time for us to apply makeup in the mornings. Instead, we often opt for quick products that will allow us to achieve the ever so famous “5-minute face.” What could be better to achieve this than the efficient BB cream? Not only does it typically come with SPF in it already, but it is tinted and more lightweight than a regular foundation, so your face will thank you for it later.

• If you want to splurge, check out the bareMinerals Complexion Rescue Tinted Hydrating Gel Cream, which has even been awarded Best of Beauty by Allure. (Available at bareescentuals.com and Sephora: $29.50)
  • If you’re saving up, one of my favorite Target-attainable products is the Burt’s Bees BB Cream, which is fresh, light and great all around! (Available at burtsbees.com, drugstores, and Target: $15)

4. Face Mist: We spend our days rushing from class to work to study groups and to club meetings, and we often need a quick way to keep ourselves looking awake and refreshed. Try carrying a face mist around for when you need a little pick-me-up spritz of confidence.

• If you want to splurge, opt for Josie Maran’s Nirvana Hydrating Treatment Mist, which is so natural that the color of the product sometimes varies from bottle to bottle. (Available at josiemarancosmetics.com and Target: $38)
  • If you’re saving up, purchase my new favorite, the Elevated Hydration Mist, from Jessica Alba’s own Honest Beauty line. Though not exactly cheap either, it’s worth the investment; just close your eyes and picture yourself in a relaxing spa as you spray… Trust me, it will put a smile on your face! (Available at honestbeauty.com: $16)

5. Hand Lotion: As someone who has dealt with the often uncomfortable issue of sensitive skin for my entire life, I recognize the importance of having a reliable hand lotion that will simply get the job done. This often means avoiding those that come with lovely fragrances, and trying a ridiculous amount of products until finding the one that works best. Luckily, there are a few lotions that have been kind to me!

• If you want to splurge, you’ll find that Lush’s Helping Hands Hand Cream truly does work miracles, and the tub is conveniently small enough to carry in your purse or backpack. (Available at lushusa.com: $19.95)
  • If you want to save, try the Yes to Coconuts Protecting Hand and Cuticle Cream, which also may help you maintain that manicure for a few days more. (Available at yestocarrots.com, Ulta and Target: $5.99)

6. Dry Shampoo: This product has saved me from a number of would-be bad hair days! However, it can be so difficult to find one that works and doesn’t make your hair smell like a lab experiment gone wrong. Luckily, some do fit the bill!

• If you want to splurge, explore Drybar’s dry shampoo options! My favorite is the Detox Dry Shampoo. (Available at shop.thedrybar.com and Sephora: $23)
  • If you want to save, take a field trip to Ulta and buy a bottle of Batiste! The best part is you can choose your favorite of seven different scents. (Available at Ulta, Target and drugstores: $8) 

7. Lip Balm: Sometimes we forget to care for our lips, but no one likes to walk around with chapped lips!

• If you want to splurge, check out Drunk Elephant’s Lippe. The cute elephant on the tube is reason enough! (Available at drunkelephant.com and Sephora: $22)
  • If you want to save, purchase Lush’s classic product, Lip Service Lip Balm. This buttery balm will keep your lips soft throughout the year. (Available at lushusa.com: $7.95)

8. Night cream: My favorite way of ending the day is with a soothing night cream… Here are a couple of my favorites.

• If you want to splurge, the First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Hydra-Firm Sleeping Cream is a great finish to the day! Not to mention, it is anti-aging, so it may give you a sense of ease after stressing over an exam! (Available at firstaidbeauty.com and Sephora: $38)
  • If you want to save, you can hardly ever go wrong with Burt’s Bees, so try the brand’s Sensitive Night Cream for a relaxing experience. (Available at burtsbees.com, drugstores, and Target: $15)

All of these products are absolutely amazing, and the best part of it all is that they are all from cruelty free brands! So there you have it, fellow collegiettes, my tried and true beauty must-have list. I hope you now have a new product on your shopping list! Your skin and the innocent animals who were spared the lab life will thank you!

Paola Ramos

Pepperdine

I'm a Pepperdine University senior from Texas. I'm a Leo, a total dog lover, and an avid reader. Spanish is my first language, so I am bilingual and working on being trilingual (I just need to turn my conversational French into fluent French). I love to write; it's a way of life!