TIME Person of the Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Berks chapter.

Donald Trump was named TIME’s Person of the Year. It was considered a controversial pick by many.

According to Radhika Jones: “The criterion is ‘the person or persons who most affected the news and our lives, for good or ill, and embodied what was important about the year.’”

According to that, Donald Trump clearly fits the criteria. He has affected the news; he’s affected everything. The stock market has been at an all-time high since he was elected President. On the other side, consumers have been boycotting stores based on their support or carrying of Trump products.

Person of the Year has been given to a wide range of citizens, whether it be Pope Francis (2013), Ebola fighters (2014), Ronald Reagan (1980), or Adolf Hitler (1938). The title goes to an eclectic group who have changed the way we view the world throughout the year. Donald Trump certainly has made the world do that.

Trump’s influence on the world won’t be forgotten whether it be through his hotels, his business dealings, or his political views. He is in a positon of power that differs from his predecessors. He is the first President in recent history to have a background in something other than politics.

It isn’t uncommon for a political figure to receive the distinction of TIME’s Person of the Year, so it really isn’t surprising that Trump was selected. I voted for person of the year; I voted for someone who attempted to make a positive change to the world. It is too soon to tell what type if mark Trump will leave on America, let alone on the world. He will make the changes he deems necessary, and we will be talking about him for years to come.

Megan Antosy is a junior at Penn State Berks double majoring in Business with an option in Marketing and Management, and Professional writing. She also has minors in Entrepreneurship and Women's Studies. When she isn't busy writing or editing articles for HC, you can find her on the beach, reading a book, taking a nap, or drinking tea. She is also Co-CC.