This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Berks chapter.

Hillary Clinton brought this point up in the debate last Monday. The facts are widely disputed, but it is evident that something happened.

Miss Universe 1996, Alicia Machado gained weight during her reign. Donald Trump claims that she gained 60 pounds. She claims that she only put on 10-15. What’s the truth?

I don’t really think it matters which number it was. Machado was forced to work out in front of the media. Trump claims that she almost lost her crown.

Why does this matter?

Miss Universe is paid to look beautiful. She gets modeling contracts with her win. Gaining weight isn’t widely accepted in the modeling world.

If Trump would have acknowledged that yes, she gained weight. He felt like she needed to become skinny again. He made her work out, but he was WRONG, we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

Trump went after her (again) at three in the morning on Twitter.

He already made his point. He’s discussed, multiple times in multiple years, that she gained weight.

I think the takeaway from this is that the woman-shaming conversation needs to be discussed again, especially when we have a 50/50 shot at having a woman in the Oval Office.  

Megan Antosy is a junior at Penn State Berks double majoring in Business with an option in Marketing and Management, and Professional writing. She also has minors in Entrepreneurship and Women's Studies. When she isn't busy writing or editing articles for HC, you can find her on the beach, reading a book, taking a nap, or drinking tea. She is also Co-CC.