This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

Spring break is just around the corner, and everyone on campus is in dire need of a week to recharge. While we all love to de-stress and go ballistic, spring break is one of the most dangerous times of the year. You always see raunchy photos of the crazy beach parties, very provocative images of girls, and people being too public with their fun while under the influence. Ahh, spring break. It’s short. It’s exciting. It’s full of the unknown.

We’ve all heard the horror stories of girls getting kidnapped or taken advantage of during their spring break trips, students overdosing or getting alcohol poisoning, and people getting into crazy freak accidents from spontaneous adventures. Although it’s great to jam-pack all the fun you want to have into one short break, it’s not worth risking your life. No matter what you’re doing for this break, here are a few tips on how to stay safe but maximize the amount of fun you can have:

1. Vacationing with Friends

If you’re about to head down to paradise with your favorite guys and gals unsupervised by any helicoptering parents, be careful. Reality is huge party scenes seem so alluring and exciting, until taking shots with strangers goes too far. Not only is not drinking carefully in an unfamiliar setting dangerous, but being unaware of your surroundings can lead to someone slipping drugs into your drink. Furthermore, the phrase “pics or it didn’t happen” probably shouldn’t be fully embraced. If you know you’re getting wild and there are cameras around, watch out. The last thing you want to be is easily Googled. At the same time, try new things and new activities during the day, sober. You’ll not only have legitimate fun but actually remember it.

2. Staying at Home

Many people also return home just to catch up and have some fun with their high school friends. Sometimes when we are removed from an environment for so long, we tend to forget little things that we used to be alert about. Whether that’s just driving on the roads again or remembering how to deal with certain people back home, don’t act like nothing has changed from the last time you were home. Everyone shape shifts a little in college. Carefully ease back into those friendships. It’s great to make plans with old friends, share some gossip, and revisit old places that hold your teenage memories. The last thing you want is for something you say or do to offend any old buddies.

3. Going on Educational Excursions

For those who love philanthropy or just gaining experience as early as possible, you will probably be off to a foreign location with your club/organization or be building homes for the poor in a lower class neighborhood. Doing good and exploring new things with peers is always positive. However, these environments often have hidden dangers. What may be ok back at home or at school may not be acceptable or common in your new setting. Be mindful of where you are and who you are surrounded by. Don’t find yourself stuck in a terrifying situation, especially if all you to do was learn new things or lend a helping hand.

I hope you all have a wonderful spring break! Stay safe, let loose, but be aware. See all your beautiful selves in one piece in a week!

I'm currently a junior studying Business Administration with an additional major in Decision Science. Two places I call home are New Jersey and Taiwan. On campus, I'm involved with Dancers' Symposium, CMBA, UMO, and am a sister of Kappa Kappa Gamma. Some of my hobbies include writing, snowboarding, art, dance music, traveling, and running. My guilty pleasures are playing with cosmetics, shoe shopping, and Gossip Girl. You can always spot me on campus in heels (as if I were still in New York City) and holding a dirty chai latte!
I am a junior Materials Science and Engineering mjaor at Carnegie Mellon University, and I am also minoring in Professional Writing and Business. I am a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma.  I love TV and trying out new beauty products.  I follow E! on Twitter so that I can stay up-to-date on celebrity news.  I'm royal-obsessed, and I love Kate Middleton's style.  I'm kind of a Sephora addict, and I could easily spend hours there.  I also spend way too much time on Pinterest.  Finally, I love hockey and all Pittsburgh sports.