This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Berks chapter.

If you are looking for video series to watch, like the grim fairy tales, a Harry-Potter-like school atmosphere and cartoonish humor, I suggest you go watch the RWBY video series at RoosterTeeth.com or on YouTube. RWBY is an anime series created by Rooster Teeth member Monty Oum. It involves a continuously growing cast of interesting characters who are training to become hunters and huntresses so that they can protect the world in which they live. Each character has their own unique personality, weapon and abilities and many fans enjoy figuring out who they most relate to.

Main Plot

The main plot of the story involves a group called the White Fang who were oppressed by normal humans due to the fact that they are half animal and half human. The White Fang are seeking revenge for this oppression and begin a series of harmful crimes. With this impending doom, the students at Beacon Academy are learning to fight so that they can protect the innocent. Not only is the White Fang out causing trouble, but the land is also inhabited by Grimm, powerful beastlike creatures who could easily harm anyone who is not properly trained to defend themselves.

Characters

RWBY seems to have an ever-growing cast of characters as the main four characters meet new people. The four main characters are Ruby Rose who is based off of Little Red Riding Hood, Yang Xiao Long based off of Goldilocks, Weiss Shnee based off of Snow White and Blake Belladonna based off of Belle from Beauty and the Beast. Ruby is young compared to all of the other students at Beacon Academy, but gained entry after the headmaster Ozpin was impressed after seeing her fighting skills. Yang is Ruby’s sister with an outgoing and fiery personality. Weiss is an heiress who is a bit snobbish at first, but quickly loosens up and learns to be nicer. Blake is a quiet girl who loves to read and also has a secret that you will find out if you watch the series. Apart from the main characters there are other students, teachers and villains with even more varying stories and personalities that interact with the main characters to make the story all the more interesting.

Love and Crushes

There is also quite a bit of crush drama going on as well. Throughout much of the second season, the students are meeting new people and planning for a big dance. There are no definite couples as of now, but many fans have their favorite ships and many names for each couple.  

Humor

As far as humor goes, RWBY has various types of humor including, Looney Tunes gravity, silly anime style faces and amusingly awkward situations. Also entertaining is the character designs. Each character has their own color scheme for their wardrobe and each outfit has a unique design that complements the character’s personality.

Music

If you are interesting in rock and especially in girl singers in rock, you’ll love the soundtrack for RWBY. Most of their songs are powerful and talk about standing up for yourself and others around you or tell emotional and fascinating stories about the characters.

The Fandom

If you join the RWBY fandom, you’re not only getting the weekly videos, but you get all the Tumblr memes that come with it. When you join the RWBY fandom, you join a friendly community that likes to discuss opinions and figure out what will happen next. Monty Oum has skillfully written this series to leave to with nothing but questions and excitement at the end of each episode. Many fans anxiously await each episode that comes out every Thursday night. It is currently ending its second season, but will be back next summer to delight and excite. RWBY is a series that will leave you wanting more.

Hi, I'm Erin Bradley. Part of your average Her Campus family. I got an editor, a publisher, and . . . a photographer. These are my articles. I wrote them and my photos . . . they found me. About our staff. It writes because we publish all over the world. You see, I write my articles and . . . my editor edits them. Okay, so this bio isn't average, but between you and me something amazing happened . . . and now I can talk to paper! It's pretty cool and totally secret. And you know what? Life will never be the same. [Editor Screams] AHHH!  (My parody of  Wild Thornberry's Intro)
Kristy is a senior at Penn State Berks.