Pokemon Go Valentine’s Theme

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Berks chapter.

Photo by Anton

Pokémon Go players can now celebrate Valentine’s Day while continuing to “catch them all”.

In honor of the February 14th holiday, Nintendo launched a Valentine’s theme on the app, giving trainers even more chances to catch Pokémon. The feature will last from 7pm on February 8 to 7pm on February 15.

Pokémon Go was first launched last summer by Niantic, bringing a whole new generation of players to the popular Japanese card and video game. The idea was to give players a sense of being in the Pokémon world by catching the Pokémon in real time and in real places. It was popular for several summer months, but became less of an attraction as the weather got colder. The new Valentine’s theme will hopefully encourage gamers to become more active on the app.

One of the biggest advantages of the launch is the longer duration of lures, which attract Pokémon. Normally, lures last only 30 minutes, but they will last for six hours with the Valentine’s feature. This provides players with more opportunities to find and capture Pokémon.

Additionally, pink Pokemon will be more abundant. Chansey, Clefable, and Porygon, among others, will show up on the game more often. Other Pokémon like Cleffa, Igglybuff, and Smoochum will hatch from eggs more than usual.

Niantic posted a list of perks of the game on their blog. They announced that “players will receive double the amount of candy when catching, hatching, and transferring Pokémon.” Additionally, Buddy Pokémon will scout out candy twice fast for their trainers. 

Players can take advantage of this theme from now until February 15. 

Freshman Marketing major at Siena College!
Megan Antosy is a junior at Penn State Berks double majoring in Business with an option in Marketing and Management, and Professional writing. She also has minors in Entrepreneurship and Women's Studies. When she isn't busy writing or editing articles for HC, you can find her on the beach, reading a book, taking a nap, or drinking tea. She is also Co-CC.