A Open Letter to the Girl Who Loves Sports

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Berks chapter.

Image from Unsplash

For as long as I can remember, I was always intrigued by the idea of sports. To me it was the most amazing, inspiring, heartbreaking, and loving thing in the world.

Growing up I played all types of sports, even American football. Yup, I said it, American Football. I remember the 12 year-old me asking my mom to sign me up for football camp, and she did. Then the 14 year-old me asked to be signed up for boxing, and again, my supportive mother signed me up.

Sure, I was the only girl at football camp that summer and I was the only girl at boxing too. But I never let it affect me; I ran with the boys, threw the same combo as the boys and I may have been just the slightest bit better than some of them.

I am a girl who loves sports and I love to talk sports with anyone who is willing to engage in such an intellectual conversation. However, I will not argue you with you every basketball player’s stats. No, I do not have every single player’s stats memorized and I am almost positive that you don’t either.

Fellow girls who love sports, never argue with someone to prove yourself. You never have to prove to anyone that you are passionate about something. You don’t hear people going around saying “Oh, so you like to cook? Well explain to me a fully detailed 5-course meal from start to finish.”

It’s absurd! If you love sports and people don’t take you seriously just because you’re a girl, forget about them. They don’t deserve to know such a female. You are a girl, and you may like other things more than what the “norm” is thought to be.

So what, you’re a little different, but that’s what makes you, you! Love your self! Love everything that makes you different, and most importantly love others and help them love themselves.

Jacinda Soto St. Katherine Drexel Church Attended Cardinal O’Hara High School with a full academic scholarship Sports Cheerleading – captain for 3 consecutive years Varsity Soccer Varsity Track Varsity Swimming – Coach Award   Volunteer Hand in Hand                                                                                             Philadelphia Marathon Philadelphia Union                                                                                   Chester United The William Trippley Foundation                                                                    Golden Touch Sandwich Club                                                                                                              Operation Santa Claus   Activities Archonettes Program - President (Zeta Phi Beta)                                                   National Honor Society                  Peer Counselor                                                                                                                              Adopt a child Sports Manager                                                                                                                             Kairo’s Leader   Internship (summer 2015) CBS                                                                                                                                        WIP   My dreams are to become a Sports Commentator and host my own sports show.  
Megan Antosy is a junior at Penn State Berks double majoring in Business with an option in Marketing and Management, and Professional writing. She also has minors in Entrepreneurship and Women's Studies. When she isn't busy writing or editing articles for HC, you can find her on the beach, reading a book, taking a nap, or drinking tea. She is also Co-CC.