How to Spot the Signs of Depression

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Berks chapter.

College can be a stressful time for young adults. It’s not often that we think about how depression actually plays a big role in the lives of most college students, especially ourselves. Depression is the most common type of mental disorder in today’s society. According to the Association for University and College Counseling Center Directors, 36.4% of college students was said to have experienced depression in 2013.

If you find yourself constantly sad, uninterested in normal daily activities or lacking energy on a daily basis, you might be experiencing signs of depression. Also, feeling fatigued, angry, frustrated or even guilt may be signs that you are having symptoms of depression. Although anxiety and stress is known to come with the downfalls of college, it’s good to seek out help even if you have noticed only one symptom. Major depression can even cause thoughts of suicide.

If you are experiencing these signs or notice a friend experiencing them, tell someone! There are many resources on campus that are there for these types of issues. You can speak with an RA, a counselor, police or even health services.

Bree McKenney is a senior Professional Writing major at Penn State Berks. She is the Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus chapter at Berks and she's also involved in the Blue&White Society. In addition to that, she is currently an RA, Peer Mentor, Multicultural Mentor, and a S.A.I.L. Mentor. She loves fashion and has been writing style blogs for Her Campus for a year now.