How to Manage Healthy Relationships in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Berks chapter.
As students transition from high school to college, it is common for students to become overwhelmed with the transition and to cope with relationships, old and new, in unhealthy ways. It is easy to make new friends and lose touch with the old. It is even easier to lose sight of what’s important  because of a new, fabulous college lifestyle. Students may get involved in a purely sexual relationship, while others may find themselves emotionally attached to someone back home. Depending on how you handle each situation, there can be consequences to follow. Bottom line is, you can still have fun and be happy with your relationships in college. 
Here are some ways to maintain healthy friendships and relationships:

1.) Play it Safe
When you meet someone, get to know them first. Do not always assume they are genuine and who they seem to be. By getting to know someone, you can determine if you have things in common and if you can really click. Pay attention to how the person acts around their friends as well. This can say a lot about their character. In essence, jumping into a relationship can result into problems down the line, and you may end up regretting what is already in the past. 

2.) Don’t Push Friends Away

True friends are there for you and want to help you, so let them! Your friends may not always say the things you want to hear, (the truth), but this is only because they care. True, reliable friends are important; ones who want to see you succeed, not ones who will become jealous or pressure you into going out when you still haven’t touched tomorrow’s homework. Yes, you can have fun, but school work should be your top priority, not partying. Good friends will understand this. 

3.) Be Open
When making new friends or meeting someone new in general, you must be open and embrace the situation. Everyone is unique, so don’t judge someone just because they’re different than you. You’ll never know where you will meet your next best friend or boyfriend. Different people may bring new things to your life that you never would have enjoyed before. Be open to anything and everything unless its something that you really shouldn’t be doing.

4.) Party Nice

It’s no secret that a lot of college students party. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but some people tend to go too hard, and that’s where the problems start. If you are going to drink, make sure you have a friend to help pace yourself and to make sure you’re not randomly hooking up with people or getting taken advantage of. You want to have fun with friends and if they have to constantly take care of you it isn’t fun either so try to have self control as well. Have fun, but don’t over do it. 

5.) Respect
Have respect for yourself, your friends, and your boyfriend/girlfriend. This is a big one because it’s common for many students to do abuse their relationships without considering how that will affect the other person. Appreciate the people you have in your life. They are there because they love you, so treat them how you want to be treated. Don’t push them around or treat them like they don’t matter because that can be hurtful to them. Most importantly, respect yourself. If you don’t make it obvious that how you’re treated matters to you, then that could show others you don’t really care about yourself and they don’t have to either.

These are some tips to help with better and healthier relationships. If you have healthy friendships and relationships, you will be a happier and stress-free you. This is college, there are enough things in life to make you stressed and miserable. Combat the negatives by preparing yourself and coping with relationships in a healthy way. 
Lauren is a Journalism major studying at Penn State Berks for the first two years of college, then at Temple University the remaining two. She's a native of Lancaster, Pa and hopes to live in New York City after graduating. In the future, she plans to incorporate a minor of Music Technology and gear her career toward music journalism. She enjoys writing lyrics and poetry in her spare time, and works at Victoria's Secret PINK.