How to Dress Comfy Without Looking Sloppy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Berks chapter.

Here at Her Campus we’ve been having discussion over if it’s possible to dress comfortably without looking like you’re homeless or hungover. So we put it up to two of our writers to answer the question: is it possible to put together a simple and comfy outfit without looking sloppy?

CHELSEA says:

Comfortable Clothing DOES Exist

Picture this: It is 7:30am, raining outside, and you have to go to class. Chances are there is one question running through your head: Should I skip class? Once you debate with yourself long enough, you come to the conclusion that, yes, you’re going to class. Once that’s settled, it’s onto the next question, which is usually harder to answer than the first: What should I wear?

I am so glad you asked! There are some essentials that every girl should have tucked nicely in one of her three drawers in her dorm room. You may think, “This is what every basic girl wears,” but before you jump to conclusions, keep one thing in mind: would all these girls be dressing like this if it were not extremely easy and comfortable?

1. Black Leggings

Don’t feel like squeezing into your skinniest skinny jeans? No problem. Slip into some black leggings instead. They are so much more comfortable and stretchy, and bound to make your butt pop a little!

2. Plain White Tee

It’s hard to go wrong with a plain white t-shirt. The only caution you have to take is to make sure you do not spill anything. If you need some color, throw your favorite scarf over it!

3. Button-down Denim

Although it is simple, it is easy to change this up. Wear it unbuttoned with your favorite t-shirt, tie the ends of it, do whatever!

4. Colorful Flannel

Like the denim, but has more personality. It is not hard to find a flannel that is made up mostly by your favorite color, so once you find it, throw it on, and let your true colors show.

5. Baggy, Patterned Pants

Do not try to hide it; we all know that we all secretly love those ridiculous baggy pants. They are fun and look extremely comfortable. Find a plain t-shirt (you don’t want to get too crazy), and give the pants a try. Who knows, maybe jeans will become a distant memory for you.

6. V-Neck and a Cardigan

Simple. Classy. Comfy. Works well with or without scarf.

7. Ugly Sweaters

I do not remember when this became a trend, but I do remember hoping that it would be short lived. That is not the case; in fact it is the opposite. Time to hit up Goodwill!

8. Tie-Dye

Think of tie-dye as the more modern, undefined version of flannel. Any colors you want, you just have to look! (Or easily make your own with a kit from any craft store!)

9. Zip-up and a Tank

Not a fan of the buttons on a cardigan? Switch it out for a zip up hoodie and your problems are solved!

10. Penn State Shirt

When all else fails, when all else goes perfectly; rain or shine; day or night, showing off your Penn State pride is always a sure winner!

JENNA says: 

Even though it is easy to throw on sweats, a t-shirt and a sweatshirt, there are easier ways to be comfy without looking like you just rolled out of bed.

If you want to look nice but you do not want to look like a bum then here are a few tips to do so. 

1. It’s all about leggings.

I was never one to wear jeans and if you are anything like me than you probably think jeans are and can be very uncomfortable, especially when it is early in the morning and you do not wake up early. Opt instead for a pair of leggings.

2. It’s still all about leggings but add boots!

Leggings are extremely comfy pants that you can either dress up or dress down. All you need to go with leggings are a nice top that is a bit longer than normal and boots.  If you are wearing a longer shirt then you should wear knee high boots or any boot that would come above your ankle. This way you will look nice but stay comfy while doing so. 

3. Plan Ahead!

It is easier to pick out your outfits the night before so you are not rushing in the morning. Don’t forget the shoes and accesories!

4. Simplicity it key

Throwing on a solid colored shirt and a printed or patterned scarf can be comfy as well without looking sloppy. Looks good with minimal effort!

5. Oversized sweaters = fashionable, warm and comfy!

Put on an oversized sweater with a pair of leggings and boots can always look fashionable and you will stay comfy and warm for the fall and winter weather.

6. Don’t forget about your hair.

Many are annoyed with their hair when having a bad hair day. A good way to fix this problem when you still want to look nice is to wear your hair in a bun with a cute and stylish headband. It will be an easy up do and fix your problem of having a bad hair day. 

Chelsea is a freshmen at Penn State Berks.
Jenna is a Freshmen at Penn State Berks.
Kristy is a senior at Penn State Berks.