This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Berks chapter.

“A complete meltdown of humanity.”

Those words were said by UN humanitarian spokesperson Jens Laerke in regards to the pro-government forces in Aleppo, Syria, that are responsible for at least 82 civilian killings – including women and children. These forces are entering homes without warning and killing anyone who attempts to flee, which is difficult to begin with because according to Ammar al Salmo, leader of the Syrian civil defense in Aleppo, “there are 100,000 civilians trapped in 3-5 square kilometers”.

What is happening in Aleppo right now is atrocious, undoubted genocide. These are PEOPLE. Innocent civilians whose lives are being taken brutally and unfairly. The fear, terror, starvation, and cold that these innocent people are going through as I type this is just unfathomable.

A country is targeting its own people: Summary executions, heavy bombings, endless threats. Aleppo is one of the last regions of Syria held by rebel forces and they are awaiting death at their doorstep. If you don’t believe it, look at the hundreds and thousands of videos plastered all over social media with gunfire and explosions clearly audible in the background. People are recording what they feel are their final messages and encouraging people to reach out and be an advocate.

That you can be.

If you are just as heartbroken for the lives taken and fearful for the lives not taken already in Aleppo as I am, then please take a look at the following ways to help:

The White Helmets:

These are ordinary Syrians whose goal is to go out into dangerous places (such as Aleppo) and save lives. 73, 530 lives saved thus far. These are teachers, firefighters, and bakers. Normal people like you and I are risking their lives in order to save someone else’s. By donating to The White Helmets, you’ll be helping a wounded White Helmet get back on their feet, or even replacing rescue and ambulatory equipment ruined in some of the bombings. There are options you can select or you can enter your own amount. Anything helps.

International Rescue Committee:

In 2015, more than 23 million people benefitted from this committee. Its purpose is to respond to the worst of the worst of conflicts and disasters, and help those who have lost control of their futures to not only gain it back, but also survive. It provides people health care, supports clinics and health facilities, gives access to clean drinking water, provides counseling and support and SO much more. Any sort of donation you give will go directly to help refugees and others who are in desperate need. Again, anything helps.

International Committee of the Red Cross:

The Syrian Crisis Appeal has been providing food and life-saving support to civilians of Syria for a very long time. With the help and joint efforts of the Syrian Arab Red Crescent, they are able to reach areas of devastation that no one else can.

Any. Amount. Helps.

Save the Children:

82 lives.

Women and children.

The Syrian Children’s Relief fund provides children and their families with warm clothes, shelter, protection, clean water, emergency care and most importantly: support for the violence these children see, and the fear they feel daily.

Doctors Without Borders:

Doctors Without Borders was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1999 for its incredible humanitarian work. It is an organization that works after natural disasters, in conflict zones, during epidemics, and more. Not only are they known for their medical work, but also for the voice they use when speaking about injustice. They are advocates for the people they treat and for suffering countries.

“We are not sure that words can always save lives, but we know that silence can certainly kill.” Doctors in all kinds of medical clinics in Syria have been executed. Doctors Without Borders can finish the job of those who were killed on duty and save the lives of the innocent people being tormented.

Really, any amount helps.

Quality over quantity. If you donate with a pure heart and good intentions, there is no amount of money that will reach the lives of these people the way kindness does. After all, if we all learned to be a little kinder to each other, the progress that we have made as a society would not be taken away so easily.

\

Eva is a sophomore majoring in Applied Psychology at the Penn State Berks campus. She plans to spend all of her four years there and is an active member of the community. Between being an HC writer, Intercultural mentor, and President of the Latino Unity Club, she usually spends her free time reading a book or watching something on Netflix. She joined the HC community because she has a true passion for writing. Eva hopes to continue to grow and keep readers interested in what she writes.
Megan Antosy is a junior at Penn State Berks double majoring in Business with an option in Marketing and Management, and Professional writing. She also has minors in Entrepreneurship and Women's Studies. When she isn't busy writing or editing articles for HC, you can find her on the beach, reading a book, taking a nap, or drinking tea. She is also Co-CC.