The Constitution Explained in Simpler Terms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Berks chapter.

It’s Constitution Week (or it was…)! So what does that thing say anyway? This article will take a look at the most popular part of the Constitution: the Bill of Rights (the first ten amendments).

The first ten amendments of the United States Constitution are collectively called the Bill of Rights and were ratified – or made valid – on December 15, 1791. Written by James Madison, the Bill of Rights outlines individual liberties and limits the government’s power.

Before the Bill of Rights comes the preamble: “We the people the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.”

Amendment I

Limitation to Government Power: The government cannot make a law that forces a certain religion on people or prohibit anyone from practicing their chosen religion peacefully.

Individual Liberties: freedom of religion – you are free to follow any religion of your choosing without interference; freedom of speech – allows you to say what you want as long as it is not a false accusation or a direct threat; freedom of press – reporters and editors can criticize the government without fearing retaliation and their publications don’t have to be approved by the government before being shown to the public; freedom of assembly – gives you the right to come together to form groups and political parties; and freedom of petition – this lets people tell the government what they think it’s doing wrong and what kind of changes they think should be made without fearing punishment.

Amendment II

Limitation to Government Power: No law can be written that prohibits a citizen’s right to own, obtain or carry a gun.

Individual Liberties: You have the right to own weapons and use them as self-defense. You have the right to be protected by the Federal Government’s military.

Amendment III

Limitation to Government Power: The government cannot force you to let soldiers stay at your home or take over your land to use for troops.

Amendment IV

Limitation to Government Power: No law enforcement official may perform a search or seizure without a detailed warrant from a judge.

Amendment V

Limitation to Government Power: A grand jury must review a citizen’s charges before the government can put them on trial. Law enforcement officials must have substantial evidence to convice a person of a crime. The government must follow the “due process of the law” and follow specific legal procedures before giving someone a penalty – this stops the governemtn from putting people in jail based on pure suspicion. If the government forces you to move, they must provide you with sufficient funds to relocate.

Individual Liberties: You have the right to a fair trial and jury. You have the right to not be tried for the same crime under the same charges twice – also known as “double jeopardy.” You have the right to never be forced to testify against yourself while on trial – “You have the right to remain silent.”

Amendment VI

Limitation to Government: Government cannot hold secret trials. All trials must take place in the daylight and be open to the public.

Individual Liberties: When accused of a crime, you have the right to know what you are being tried for, the right to a speedy trial and the right to a trial by jury. You have the right to a lawyer when on trial. 

Amendment VII

Individual Liberties: You have the right to trial by jury when it is a civil case (rather than a criminal one).

Amendment VIII

Limitation of Government: This amendment prohibits the government from using cruel and unusual punishment – the punishment must fit the crime.

Individual Liberties: The right to reasonable bail when being released from prison.

Amendment IX

Limitation of Government: The government cannot alter or void the basic principles behind the Constitution.

Individual Liberties: You have the right to other rights that are not listed here.

Amendment X

Limitation of Government: Federal powers are limited to those specifically detailed in the Constitution.

Individual Liberties: You and the state have powers called “reserved powers” that are not in the first ten amendments.

Follus us @HCpsuBerks
Kristy is a senior at Penn State Berks.