Club Spotlight: PSU 4 Kids

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Berks chapter.

What is the club’s mission: Our mission is to help serve children. We do this locally and even travel to help children, which is what we do with Camp Noah.

If someone were to join your club, what will you be doing at meetings: During our meetings we discuss fundraisers and sometimes have food, because every body loves food.

What kind of events does your club throw or attend:Throughout the year we have several fundraisers. Last year was our first year doing the Zombie Takeover, which seemed to be a big hit on campus and helped us to raise a lot of money. We got to dress up like Zombies for two days and take over the campus, collecting money to purchase school supplies for elementary schools in Reading School District. This year our Zombie Takeover will be taking over professors classes on October 29th and 30th. We also sell roses in February as a secret Valentine sale and raise money for Camp Noah. We will also be having a Camp Noah: LIfe of a Volunteer presentation in the Lion’s Den on October 22 during common hour. Volunteers from the last three years will be discussing and answering questions about what it is like to volunteer for Camp Noah and talking about just how life changing the experience really is.

Some of the Camp Noah team Crisfield, MD (2014)

How does your club impact and better Penn State Berks or Berks community: Like I’ve mentioned a few times, we serve children. Children are the most important part of society, in my opinion–they have the ability to to make the world’s future better or worse. Therefore, it is crucial to help them to the best of our ability, educate them and teach them skills they can use later in life. We donate supplies to some of the Reading School District Elementary Schools. We also run a week long camp during the summer, Camp Noah, with the help of Lutheran Social Services from MN. Camp Noah is a day camp in which we teach children who have been through a disaster resiliency and coping skills. In 2012 Camp Noah went to Nanticoke, PA, Newtown, CT in 2013, and Crisfield, MD in 2014.

What are the top 3 benefits/reasons someone should join this club: Children are the future of our world. If we show them kindness and compassion, if we show them that people care and are willing to help them (no matter how small that help may seem), we can truly make a difference. If we show them that there is goodness in the world, they too will spread that goodness. Kids look up to those who are older than them so what we teach them now will help them  positively impact our society in the future. I can’t think of a better way to make a difference in the world than helping children. You don’t even have to be an education major–all you have to do is love kids and want to make a difference. Last, if you are unsure just how much of a difference we can make in the world, join our club this year and/or join our Camp Noah team next summer. Camp Noah, in just seven days, will forever change your life. You learn so much from the kids you serve, and they learn just as much if not more from you.

Upcoming events that your club will be hosting or attending:

• Zombie Takeover October 29-30 (coming in to classes, so tell your professor if you want your class to be taken over by zombies…and if you want to receive candy in exchange for a small donation)

• Camp Noah Presentation… October 22 in the Lion’s Den during common hour (there will also be food and a short video)

How do you become a part of this club: That’s easy!! All you have to do is come to our meetings or email me (jxh5444@psu.edu). We meet Monday’s at 1:00pm, during common hour in Gaige 245.

What is your club’s greatest accomplishment: Our greatest accomplishment is hosting Camp Noah during the summer. We serve about 100 children each year, teaching them skills they will use for the rest of their life and forever changing them, their community and ourselves for the better.

Who can people contact for more information: Jess Hartman jxh5444@psu.edu (Club Co-President), Amber Rogers alr5556@psu.edu (Club Co-President)

Anything else you want to say about the club: We would really love everyone and anyone to join our club–we have people from all kinds of majors and welcome anyone who wants to help out. We are always open to new ideas and always try to have fun, so please don’t be shy and stop by for a meeting!!

Club members decorating boxes that held school supplies and were donated

to elemtenary schools in Reading School District

Follus us @HCpsuBerks
Kristy is a senior at Penn State Berks.