Book Review: Shadowlands

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Berks chapter.

The inside jacket, from Barnes and Noble

Rory Miller had one chance to fight back and she took it. Rory survived and the serial killer who attacked her escaped. Now that the infamous Steven Nell is on the loose, Rory must enter the witness protection with her father and sister, Darcy, leaving their friends and family without so much as a goodbye.

Starting over in a new town with only each other is unimaginable for Rory and Darcy. They were inseparable as children, but now they can barely stand each other. As the sisters settle in to Juniper Landing, a picturesque vacation island, it seems like their new home may be just the fresh start they need. They fall in with a group of beautiful, carefree teens and spend their days surfing, partying on the beach, and hiking into endless sunsets. But just as they’re starting to feel safe again, one of their new friends goes missing. Is it a coincidence? Or is the nightmare beginning all over again?

Rating: 3.5-4/5 Stars

I’m not sure how I feel about this book. I love Kate Brian but I’m really confused. Shadowhunters is first book of a trilogy. The book deals with Rory, who got attacked by a serial killer. The FBI get involved, and they wind up in witness protection. It is told in Rory’s first person point of view, but Steven Nell (The serial killer) chimes in at some points, mostly to say that he’s after Rory.

It is a good book, but I’m really confused as to what happened. I *think* we have a unreliable narrator on our hands, or possibly some pacing issues. The timeline of events doesn’t add up (literally). While it was a good book, and while I enjoy Kate Brian, I don’t know what I just read. I love her other two series Private and Privilege and highly recommend those.

I’m saving my recommendation for Shadowlands until I finish the trilogy.

Megan Antosy is a junior at Penn State Berks double majoring in Business with an option in Marketing and Management, and Professional writing. She also has minors in Entrepreneurship and Women's Studies. When she isn't busy writing or editing articles for HC, you can find her on the beach, reading a book, taking a nap, or drinking tea. She is also Co-CC.