Book Review: My Best Friend, Maybe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Berks chapter.

From Barnes and Noble:

Right before they started high school, Colette’s best friend, Sadie, dumped her. Three years later, Colette is still lonely. She tries to be perfect for everyone left in her life: her parents, her younger brothers, her church youth group, even her boyfriend, Mark. But Colette is restless. And she misses Sadie.

Then Sadie tells Colette that she needs her old friend to join her on a family vacation to the Greek Islands, one that leaves in only a few days, and Colette is shocked to hear their old magic word: need. And she finds herself agreeing.

Colette tries to relax and enjoy her Grecian surroundings but it’s not easy to go on vacation with the person who hurt you most in the world. When the reason for the trip finally surfaces, Colette finds out this is not just a fun vacation. Sadie has kept an enormous secret from Colette for years . . . forever. It’s a summer full of surprises, but that just might be what Colette needs.

Stars: 4/5

What’s it like: It reminds of Sarah Dessen books as well as Maureen Johnson (specifically 13 Little Blue Envelopes).

What I thought: The thing that really saved this book was the fact that most of it was set in Greece. I want to go to Greece to see the beautiful colored towns and the beaches. The book was set by a beach, so that was the big positive. The Sadie situation is pretty obvious, I think. The groundwork gets laid by the way that Colette was brought up. She was brought up as highly religious with parents and a boyfriend who believe the same exact things that they do. Something had to shake that frame of mind, and Sadie did.

It’s overall a good book by a good author, I just found it to be a little predictable. The romance parts of the book are done well.  

Megan Antosy is a junior at Penn State Berks double majoring in Business with an option in Marketing and Management, and Professional writing. She also has minors in Entrepreneurship and Women's Studies. When she isn't busy writing or editing articles for HC, you can find her on the beach, reading a book, taking a nap, or drinking tea. She is also Co-CC.