Book Review: How to Say I Love You Out Loud

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Berks chapter.

From Barnes and Noble:

When Jordyn Michaelson’s autistic brother joins her at her elite school, she’s determined not to let anyone know they’re related. Even if that means closing herself off to all her closest friends, including charming football stud Alex Colby. But despite her best intentions, she just can’t shake the memory of kissing Alex last summer, and the desire to do it again.  Can Jordyn find the courage to tell Alex how she really feels—and the truth about her family—before he slips away forever?

Rating: 4/5 stars

What’s it like: N/A. It’s realistic fiction but it doesn’t make me think of anything specifically.

What I thought: I was unsure of reading this book judging by the reviews on Goodreads. A lot of readers found the narrator to be offensive. I didn’t find her offensive at all. Her actions, while immature, seemed organic to me. She got hurt when she was younger by a person who found out she has an autistic brother and that left her with a scar. She never wanted a repeat experience of that episode, so she wouldn’t let anyone come to her house. She told no one that he existed. Her love life was also natural. It was awkward but it was perfect for her situation. I recommend this book and this author, and I can’t wait until her third book comes out in May.

Megan Antosy is a junior at Penn State Berks double majoring in Business with an option in Marketing and Management, and Professional writing. She also has minors in Entrepreneurship and Women's Studies. When she isn't busy writing or editing articles for HC, you can find her on the beach, reading a book, taking a nap, or drinking tea. She is also Co-CC.