Book Review: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Berks chapter.

My beginning thoughts on Fantastic Beasts are here:

From Barnes and Noble:

J.K. Rowling’s screenwriting debut is captured in this exciting hardcover edition of the Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them screenplay.

When Magizoologist Newt Scamander arrives in New York, he intends his stay to be just a brief stopover. However, when his magical case is misplaced and some of Newt’s fantastic beasts escape, it spells trouble for everyone…

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them marks the screenwriting debut of J.K. Rowling, author of the beloved and internationally bestselling Harry Potter books. Featuring a cast of remarkable characters, this is epic, adventure-packed storytelling at its very best.

Whether an existing fan or new to the wizarding world, this is a perfect addition to any reader’s bookshelf.

Rating: 3.5/5 stars

What it’s like: It’s like Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children and The Diviners, with some of JK Rowling’s descriptions.

Why: The Diviners were set in the 1920’s NYC as well and also had magic-like themes. I relate Fantastic Beasts to Miss Peregrine’s because there was more than meets the eye with that as well.

What I thought: I don’t know exactly. I felt like there was at times too much going on. The screenplay is set in 1920’s New York City. It’s becoming a common scenario.

I loved the animals. Newt Scamander is a magizoologist, and I want to be one too. He takes care of creatures. I really wish there was a magical zoo to go visit so I could meet them all.

I wish this was a novel. Novels tend to fit JK Rowling better because they are more descriptive and allow for more story building, which she thrives on. I don’t know if I recommend reading it because I haven’t seen the movie yet. I know there is plans for five movies but I’m not sure if all of those will come with a book/screenplay. The world building and the animals pretty much made the screenplay work. I can’t say that I feel overly connected to the characters but there is some connection there.

Megan Antosy is a junior at Penn State Berks double majoring in Business with an option in Marketing and Management, and Professional writing. She also has minors in Entrepreneurship and Women's Studies. When she isn't busy writing or editing articles for HC, you can find her on the beach, reading a book, taking a nap, or drinking tea. She is also Co-CC.