Book Review: Blue Bloods

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Berks chapter.

From Barnes and Noble:

Schuyler Van Alen is confused about what is happening to her. Her veins are starting to turn blue, and she’s starting to crave raw meat. Soon, her world is thrust into an intricate maze of secret societies and bitter intrigue. Schuyler has never been a part of the trendy crowd at her prestigious New York private school. Now, all of a sudden, Jack Force, the most popular guy in school, is showing an interest in her. And when one of the popular girls is found dead, Schuyler and Jack are determined to get to the bottom of it.

Schuyler wants to find out the secrets of the mysterious Blue Bloods. But is she putting herself in danger? Melissa de la Cruz’s vampire mythology, set against the glitzy backdrop of New York City, is a juicy and intoxicating read.

Rating: 3.5/5 stars

What’s it like?: It’s a little bit of Gossip Girl mixed with just about any YA vampire story.

What did I think?: Blue Bloods was okay. I loved parts of it but I didn’t love all of it. Basically, this telling of vampires says that they have been around since Plymouth but they change their identities, basically. Of course, something is attacking them. There’s a rare kind of vampire that attacks them but the regular vampires are supposed to be immortal.

I don’t want to say that plot is convenient, but it didn’t feel real. The plot didn’t feel like it fit into life. World-building means that different “worlds” are plausible. It just didn’t come across to me that way. It is a series, and I will be reading the next book.

Megan Antosy is a junior at Penn State Berks double majoring in Business with an option in Marketing and Management, and Professional writing. She also has minors in Entrepreneurship and Women's Studies. When she isn't busy writing or editing articles for HC, you can find her on the beach, reading a book, taking a nap, or drinking tea. She is also Co-CC.