Autism Friendly Shopping

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Berks chapter.

Target in Lancaster, PA, is hosting an autism-friendly event on December 10th.

People on the autistic spectrum can get overwhelmed with their surroundings. Too bright lights, food not being what they are used to, and too loud of sounds can upset them. Target is trying to support them by holding this event.

They will be holding a quiet shopping event from 6-8AM. They will dim the lights, have fewer employees, and turn off the music. It will be a quieter sensory experience for shoppers.

Target joins a growing trend with autism-friendly events. Toys-R-US had one recently. There are also spectrum-friendly events to see Santa.

The event is being help very early in the morning, before the store opens. This has to be because people aren’t out and about at that time of morning. Target won’t have to limit the amount of people in the store. They can have the store as quiet as it needs to be without interruption. It’s a smart idea, especially for those parents and caregivers who struggle to get their shopping done because of sensory issues.

Megan Antosy is a junior at Penn State Berks double majoring in Business with an option in Marketing and Management, and Professional writing. She also has minors in Entrepreneurship and Women's Studies. When she isn't busy writing or editing articles for HC, you can find her on the beach, reading a book, taking a nap, or drinking tea. She is also Co-CC.