3 Easy Ways to Spruce Up Last Season’s Clothes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Berks chapter.

Ladies, we all know that we love to shop to have exciting new clothes each season, but that takes money and could get expensive quick. Instead of buying new clothes, sprucing up your old closet or shopping with a budget is easier than you think! Here are three easy ways to spruce up your old closet while still staying on budget.

1. Thrift Shopping

“I’m gonna pop some tags. Only got 20 dollars in my pocket.” Thrift shopping among college students is starting to become more and more popular. Finding a cute light cardigan to pair with that spring dress from last season can make that old dress new again. This can take a cost of a new dress from $30 to $5 or $10 depending on which thrift shop you go to. Near Berks, there are a few Goodwill locations and a Plato’s closet and not to mention the little mom and pop thrift stores.

1. Use Pintrest to Your Sewing Advantage

This is where hours on Pintrest comes in handy. Pintrest has a variety of topics to look through one of them including sewing and refurbishing old clothes. If you are handy with a sewing machine, you can turn an old pair of shorts new with new stitching and patches, or you can cut up an old shirt to make a cute new tank top. Keep in mind when doing this to always sew around the cut marks so your newly made clothing does not fray. Happy sewing!

1. Transform a Old Piece into Something New Completely

So, you don’t know how to sew, and a lot of your old clothes have small stains and torn edges. Do not fear, you can take an old piece and turn it new. Take that old shirt you love, and turn it into a scarf with scissors and some knotting and pair it with that old spring dress to make something totally new using two pieces from last season! There are tons of DIY tutorials on YouTube that can assist in making old pieces into something new and exciting.

Now when you want some retail therapy or preparing for a new season of clothing, just remember you can have nice clothes on a budget, and you can wear last season’s clothes by just sprucing things up a little with some creativity.

Bree McKenney is a senior Professional Writing major at Penn State Berks. She is the Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus chapter at Berks and she's also involved in the Blue&White Society. In addition to that, she is currently an RA, Peer Mentor, Multicultural Mentor, and a S.A.I.L. Mentor. She loves fashion and has been writing style blogs for Her Campus for a year now.