12 Useful Websites for Penn State Freshmen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Berks chapter.

There are a multitude of websites associated with Penn State and it’s hard to keep up with them all. Here is a list of our favorite PSU websites we think all freshmen should know about. (Click on the pink titles to be taken to the website).

1. Webmail

Your Penn State University e-mail address inbox can be found here!  Your webmail address will mostly be used for official correspondence with the University – this is where you can find e-mails from your RA if you’re on campus, the Penn State President, and the Bursar’s office. This site is also helpful because it has a directory where you can look up contact info on Penn State students and faculty.

2. Penn State id+ Card

Add funds to your meal plan or Lion Cash account by clicking on “Manage Accounts”, find out which locations accept Lion Cash by clicking on “Meet Your Merchants”.

3. Library

Search for scholarly sources, lookup if the library has the book you need in stock – if they don’t, you can order it from another Penn State campus, check the library hours, reserve a study room, look up if your professor reserved your course textbook at the front desk. You can renew library materials here!

4. Angel

Penn State’s course management system. If your professor uses Angel, your course will be listed underneath the current semester. What your professor uploads to Angel could include: the course syllabus, course calendar, assignment dropboxes, PowerPoints from class and/or class handouts.You can find e-mail contacts for everyone enrolled in the class under the “Communicate” tab. Keep track of the grades you earn on assignments under the “Grades” tab. 

Also, Most professors send out class e-mails through Angel, so make sure to check your inbox daily (under the “Communicate” tab). To forward all Angel messages to your Penn State Webmail, click on the preference circle in the left sidebar then click “System Settings,” scroll down and type your school e-mail address where it says “Forwarding Address” and click save!

5. Web Apps

Access programs like JMP Pro 10, Minitab 17.1, Office 2013, and SolidWorks 2014 for free!

6. eLiving 

Purchase a campus meal plan or request an on-campus housing contract among other things for campus living.

7. PASS Explorer

Access all documents that you have saved to your student I.D.

8. PSU Alert 

Sign up for an emergency alert system that will send you a text, email, and/or voice alert for all school closing, delays, or dangers (such as suspicious person/package, or that a person has been assaulted). You can select how you would like to receive the messages and which campuses you would like to receive messages for!

9. Nittany Lion Career Network

Upload your resume, look at job opening from employers who are targeting Penn State students, and keep track of where you apply.

10. PSU Menu Online 

See what Tully’s will be serving that day – includes Cyber Café menu, too!

11. Lynda

Watch video series on how to use different computer programs (like “Wordpress Essential Training” or “iPhoto ’11 Essential Training”) or videos giving advice for careers (like “Building Customer Loyalty” or “Marketing Fundementals”).  Only have a short amount of time? Lynda also offers 10-minute tip videos.

12. eLion 

Penn State’s eLion offers an abundance of services. Here are the ones we find most helpful:

Under the “Advising” tab you’ll find:

– “Academic Summary” – find out what your current GPA is

– “Degree Audit” – access your degree audit to make sure you’re staying on track and taking the courses required for your major

–  “Registration Watch List” – if there’s a class you want to take but it’s full, sign up here to get an e-mail when a spot opens up

Under the “Financial” tab you’ll find:

– “Loan Debt Summary” – see how much loan debt you’ve collected

– “Student Aid Summary” – keep track of what student aid you are receiving 

– “Work-Study Job search” – Find work study jobs available on your campus

Under the “Schedule” tab you’ll find:

– “Drop/Add” – Drop a class you’re not happy with or add a new (after you’ve originally registered)

– “Final Exam Schedule” – find out when all your final exams are

– “Schedule Planner” – select the courses you want to take and find out what your potential schedule could look like

Kristy is a senior at Penn State Berks.