10 Relaxing Activities That Can Be Done On Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Berks chapter.

1. Yoga or Meditation

Strengthen your body and your mind by focusing on your inner-self rather than all that is going on around you. This can be done in your room by yourself (Click here to learn how to meditate) or you can join the Penn State Berks Yoga and Meditation Society you can even get credit for it by registering for the class (KINES 77).

2. Art

If you’re too stressed by the world around you, take a hint from Alice in Wonderland and create a world of your own. It can be anything you choose. Let your imagination run free! Penn State Berks offers a variety of art classes including Buy a sketch book, simply doodle in your notebook, or register for one of these classes: Introduction to Drawing (ART 020), Introduction to Graphic Design (GD 100) or Introduction to Creative Writing (ENGL 050).

3. Listen to Music 

Music is our feelings put to sound. Let the music in and release your feelings! You even have my permission to sing “Let It Go!” if you wish. Learn about different types of music by taking these classes: Introduction to Western Music (MUSIC 005), Evolution of Jazz (MUSIC 007) and Introduction to World Music (MUSIC 009).

4. Go Outside

You may be spending an awful amount of time in stuffy classrooms and cramped dorms. It’s always a good idea to get some fresh. Grab a book, pick a spot around campus and get comfy! Our favorite relaxing seating areas are the fountain at Perkins Plaza, the Labyrinth near the parking lot behind Franco and the Franco Ampitheater.  

5. Walk

Many people today easily forget the simple things in life that make us happy, so just put one foot in front of the other and walk your troubles away. Walk around the campus, hit a treadmill inside the Beaver Community Center or stroll through Gring’s Mill Park!

6. Watch a Movie 

Like art, movies are a great way to escape the real world. They can take you on an adventure without even having to leave the comfort of your room. The Thun Library has an entire shelf of DVDS you can rent. Search here to see if they have the one you want in stock.

7. Play a Sport

Sports are a great release for pent up stress. Taking your anger out on a ball is a much better solution than giving your friends and family attitude. Get your physical activity in by registering for a class like Introduction to Outdoor Pursuits (KINES 001), Tennis (KINES 048), Introduction to Martial Arts (KINES 056). Or join a sports team or try an intramural program – click here for a list of what’s offered on-campus.

C.A.B also hosts a Berks Movie Night at Reading 11 & IMAX Theatre throughout the year. Make sure you ‘Like’ the Facebook page to see posts on upcoming movie night dates.

8. Write or Read

Writing is a great way to get your thoughts off your chest without having to talk to someone. Invest in a journal or start a WordPress or Tumblr blog. On-campus, you can write for Her Campus Penn State Berks (!), register to take the newswriting class (ENGL 110) to have your writing featured in the Berks Collegian, or attend CORE events to participate in creative writing prompts.

9. Dance and Sing

Dancing reduces stress, gives you exercise and is great fun. Singing can help you pass the time or make any chore more tolerable. We suggest turning up the volume and shaking it to Taylor Swift’s new single, Shake It Off

For on-campus dancing fun, consider joining the dance team or step team, or registering to take Aerobic Dance (KINES 063). If you’d rather sing, consider registering for the campus choir (MUSIC 088). 

10. Laugh

Laughing is always the best medicine. It not only relaxes your body and releases endorphins that make you feel good, but it also boosts your immune system and protects your heart. On every first Monday of the month, C.A.B hosts LOL (a live comedy show) in the PSC Auditorium. The next LOL is October 6 at 9 p.m. featuring comedian Jessica Kirson!

Remember to always take some time for yourself to relax and refresh. If you don’t have time for this, use the classes listed above to kill two birds with one stone and get credit while you relax. Remember, if your mental health is not in check, your will not be able to work to the best of your ability anyway and you will cause friends and family to worry about you.

Hi, I'm Erin Bradley. Part of your average Her Campus family. I got an editor, a publisher, and . . . a photographer. These are my articles. I wrote them and my photos . . . they found me. About our staff. It writes because we publish all over the world. You see, I write my articles and . . . my editor edits them. Okay, so this bio isn't average, but between you and me something amazing happened . . . and now I can talk to paper! It's pretty cool and totally secret. And you know what? Life will never be the same. [Editor Screams] AHHH!  (My parody of  Wild Thornberry's Intro)
Kristy is a senior at Penn State Berks.