This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

In the world we live in today, it’s so easy to get caught up with what everyone else believes to be the “true” definition of beauty. It’s easy to let others cruel opinions get inside our heads, and overrule how we think and feel about ourselves. Often, it’s not entirely about what others have to say; sometimes it has to do with our own mind. We become our own worst enemy, with thundering voices repeating hateful words in our heads. There are also instances in which we are drawn to other people’s lives, and how they portray themselves on social media. Because of this, we end up believing that the images these people want us to see, is how their life really is. We compare their glamorous lives to ours, and we dwell wholly in comparison. We fall into the trap, thinking, “Why can’t I look like her?” and “I wish I could live like that.” But, we forget that the judgment we develop after looking at someone’s social life is simply just that… judgment.

I know it’s hard; trust me, I get it. I have been there. It has never been harder to try and live a life without so many insecurities, in this day and age. But, if we get sidetracked and let awful thoughts flow through our mind, we will never know how to live life happily. In the end, we will drive ourselves insane if we can’t look past social media, and accept the fact that some people are just cruel. We mustn’t walk around daydreaming with our heads in twisted knots, hoping for their approval. The only person that is worth needing approval from is ourselves.

The most important thing I have learned while learning to love myself and gain confidence is that it’s never an everyday thing – it’s a lifelong process. We can practice self-love by wearing cute outfits, giving ourselves pep talks, and doing things that make us feel good about who we are. But, there are times that all the love we have practiced fades, and we’re back to facing our demons all over again. And you know what, that’s okay because we’re on this journey to mess up, to feel sad, to be happy, and to constantly learn and grow! As long as we’re trying our hardest to be kind individuals and doing things that make us feel better, then we’re on the road to achieving self-love. It’s important to remember that it starts with us… once our hearts realize that no one can ever define our beauty. 

Poetry