Why Yoga is Good for You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

Feeling stressed, anxious, sad overwhelmed, or tired? Try yoga! Sure spin, cross fit, and Zumba are good for your body, but what’s good for both your body and mind? While fitness trends come and go, yoga remains and has for the past 5,000 years. All over the world, yoga lets people be in the moment. 

Yoga allows you to be in touch with your breath and let everything in your life go. When work or school gets stressful and it seems like everyone else matters but you, yoga allows the day to melt away and your mental health to skyrocket. Yoga also increases flexibility, mindfulness, energy, and strength. Whether it’s a guided practice at a gym/studio or as simple as sitting down on a mat, it’s worth it. Go through a meditation in a quiet room and focus on nothing, or run through a few poses, it will improve your mood and well-being. We live in the age of go, go, go, so take some time to thank and appreciate your body for what it does for you every day by giving it yoga. 

Don’t know where to start? Try free yoga at Bryant, Prospect, or Hudson River Park as well as Union or Tompkins Square – when the warm weather hits! Want a more private session? Try Sonic Community Yoga or Yoga Arora in studios for pay as you wish sessions! 

I am an elementary education and special education major with a minor in psychology at Pace University. I love singing, playing the guitar reading, writing, shopping, and eating. My dream in the world is to help kids with special needs and be there beacon of hope as well as to travel a lot to see what the world has to offer!