Want to Destress? Hike Upstate at Cold Springs!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

Getting used to a fast-paced routine can be extremely stressful, especially when your weekly agenda is usually full. Look for local getaways that have to do with arts and crafts or go running at Battery Park. Switching it up from time to time can help you to de-stress, make memories, and look forward to new adventures.

A few weekends ago, a group Pace Students went upstate to Cold Springs for a day full of fun at the Hudson Highlands State Park. We took the Metro North towards Poughkeepsie and an hour and a half later, we arrived in a small town riddled with antique shops and spooky Halloween decorations. It had an eerie feel to it but its residents were welcoming and we enjoyed strolling down Main Street. Not far from there, we hiked up the Blaze Washburn Trail at the north region of Bull Hill (which turned out to be a lot steeper than anticipated.) It was four hours of relentless legwork to the top and back to the bottom.

Our hike was accompanied by an adorable baby, a service pup, and lots of water and snacks. We were emotionally and physically ready to explore the famous hill with incredible views of the Hudson River!

There’s always great scenery to look forward to when hiking but it’s important to be prepared for the terrain and overall surroundings. Pack accordingly and look up the park regulations before heading out on the trail. To do so, visit the parks website to go over the terrain and guidelines. It’s also useful to download a map of the trails for reference. By following these simple guidelines, you will have a successful and distressful hike!

I guarantee that heading further north will help with destressing and refreshing with the crisp forest air. Plus, who doesn’t want to explore further north to escape the sirens and horns at every corner?

Hey!   I am a student and a Campus Trendsetter at one of the Big Apple's coolest campus (Pace University)! I love hiking during the summer and exploring the city on my free time, along with Yelping on the coolest restaurants around the country. Although the Golden Coast is where home is at, taking on the "City that never sleeps" has become my latest adventure!