True Life I Go To School In NYC: Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

When most people picture their college experience, they imagine themselves strolling around a green campus filled with trees and old buildings. If that’s what you’re going for, great, but if not school in NYC might be for you. Here a few things that makes campus life a little different here in the city.

1. Frat parties? What are those? Here at Pace, we don’t really have the space for frat row. Going out to us means roof top parties in midtown or trekking deep into Brooklyn.

2. That cute guy you just passed probably works on Wall Street.  Living in the FIDI means when were walking around campus we’re sharing the streets with some of Wall Street’s best instead of sport superstars.

3. Morning trips to the cafeteria turn into bagel runs across the street. Living in the city means you’re surrounded by some of the best restaurants (and bagel places), which means skipping the caf and enjoying all the food the city has to offer. It may also mean eating bagels three days in a row.

4. Twenty Minute walks across campus? No thank you. When your campus is only a few blocks you don’t have to walk more than five minutes. If you have to walk twenty minutes, you’ll probably hop the subway instead.

5. On campus housing is better than any other apartment you’ll live in. Normally when you go to school you live in a crappy dorm or on campus apartment and then after school move into a much nicer place. Here in NYC your on campus living situation will probably be nicer than any apartment off-campus you can afford.

The word campus has a very different meaning for NYC schools. Our campus is the city. That’s not just something cheesy that every NYC college uses in their brochures. It’s actually true.

Hey there! My name is Alexis and I'm a senior at Pace University where I am double majoring in Peace & Justice Studies and Communication Studies with minor in Women and Gender Studies. I am the Campus Corespondent for Her Campus Pace and love watching our organization grow. I just got back from spending Spring semester in Florence, Italy and traveling throughout Europe for a month this summer. When I'm not running around between school and my internship, I can be found exploring the city with my friends, checking out some art at MoMA, binge watching Gilmore Girls, Friends or whatever new show has caught my attention or planning my next trip. I believe writing is one of the best tools we have for personal expression and activism!
Hello! My name is Josephine "Josie" Morenski, and I am from Detroit, Michigan. Currently, I am a Communication Studies major at Pace University in New York City, with a minor in Psychology. I am also a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Pace, Promotions Intern for Cumulus Media, and a Student Assistant at Pace University. Writing and blogging have always been a passion of mine, and I am excited to share my content with the Her Campus community.