This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

“Cuffing Season”: the witty term coined by our ridiculous- but sort of hilarious- generation to describe… Winter? Winter isn’t really winter anymore, its “cuffing season” to us generation Y-ers. Cuffing season is basically when it’s cold and people don’t want to go out as much, they’d rather stay in and watch movies or hang out with a significant other. The whole thing stems from the fact that the cold weather and prolonged indoor activity causes singles to become lonely and desperate to be “cuffed” (a.k.a in a relationship). It lasts from around mid-October to about March/April depending on how long its cold outside. I know we are approaching the end of Cuffing Season, but here are some tips for surviving the rest of Cuffing Season until Summer comes along.

1. Don’t be bitter, be better.

Having a boyfriend does not make you better or worse than anyone, ever. You don’t need any attention from men [or women if that’s what you’re into] to validate that you’re awesome. If anyone tries to make you feel bad about being single or you start to get down on yourself, just think, ‘what would Gigi do?’ Gigi would put her hair in a bun, put on a white T-shirt and jeans and get on with her damn life.

2. Work On Your Summer Body

Exercise is the best thing you can do for yourself. Exercise will make you happy, I can promise this. Your body will literally produce endorphins also known as the “happy hormone”. So get your blood pumping and get working on your body so you feel confident and happy this summer. Pro tip- exercise your body and mind at the same time with yoga.

3. Know That it Doesn’t Last Forever.

Sometimes you might feel lonely and wish that you had a significant other to hang out with. In this case, just remember to keep doing your thing and be focused on your own goals. Bonus: you don’t have to share your bed with anyone!

4. Focus on School and/or Work.

School or work or both is a great, and productive way to get your mind off of Cuffing Season!

5. If You Ever Feel Down, Listen to This Playlist.

As a music lover, I have tons of playlists that suit many of my different moods. This is my personal Spotify playlist that I listen to whenever I start feeling bad for myself, for any reason really. It’s just a bunch of songs that make me feel awesome when I listen to them, I hope it has the same effect on you! Click on the Spotify picture above, or the link below to listen to my playlist.

Playlist

Hallie is a Junior at Pace University studying Communications with a double minor in Creative Writing and Women's and Gender Studies. She loves coffee and yoga and hates writing in the third person. 
Her Campus Pace Contributor