photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

Stop Premature Christmasing, In favor of Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

With Halloween just around the corner, it is only a matter of time before Christmas items begin hitting the shelves and I’ve had ENOUGH! I am tired of heading into my local store to buy Halloween candy only to see a display for Christmas decorations. I am tired of everyone forgetting about Thanksgiving and skipping straight from Halloween to Christmas. Really, I feel bad for Thanksgiving. Everyone gets excited about Halloween, candy, spooky decorations, dressing up and all that. There are songs written about Halloween and movies strictly watched at this time of year. In fact, Disney even gave Halloween its own town and a plethora of sequels. 

Halloweentown anyone?

And then there is Thanksgiving. Sure it is that one day of the year when you can don your stretchy pants, eat as much as you possibly can and even go back for fourths. But the moment the leftover turkey hits the fridge, out comes the tree. Some families even put out their trees before Thanksgiving. I am abhorred by the thought of this. And what about Thanksgiving songs? Can you name any off the top of your head because I can’t. 

Don’t get me wrong, I love Christmas as much as the next girl. Every year I cannot wait for Christmas music, hot chocolate, caroling, and watching Elf for like the hundredth time. But I think we should at least have the decency to put away the dishes fromThanksgiving dinner before breaking out Christmas decorations. I am enraged anytime I hear Christmas music before Thanksgiving. We should respect Thanksgiving. We should give each holiday a time and a place and stop overlooking one in favor of another. Sure you can have a favorite holiday, but the prematuring Christmasing needs to stop. I know, Christmas is an exciting holiday but please, do not forget about Thanksgiving. Enjoy your candy, and then give thanks while scarfing down some turkey. Only then should Christmasing of any kind be acceptable.

Hi, my name's Savannah and I'm an apple living in the big apple. I love red sour patch kids and huge cups of coffee. Always on the look out for good books and new adventures.