Staying Motivated This Winter, As Told By The Kardashians

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

Here on the East Coast, we are no strangers to harsh, snowy winters. However, Mother Nature really spoiled us, leaving the depressing low temperatures and soul-stealing windy days until pretty recently. If you’re anything like me, the winter seems like the perfect time to hibernate, a.k.a eat and drink unhealthily, not exercise, and sleep your days away. Considering you can hide underneath trendy, bulky sweaters, you don’t always realize the way this lifestyle affects you physically and emotionally. So, I’ve come up with a few tips to help you stay motivated in all things health and happiness!

1.Get up at a reasonable hour, even on weekends

I know this sounds less than ideal, but getting up early helps you be more motivated throughout the day, and gives you more time to be productive!

2. Get over “I don’t feel like it”

Get over it. Whether its exercise, homework, cleaning, just get over it. Thinking about how much you don’t want to do something is a colossal waste of time, and if you spent the time actually doing whatever needs to get done, you’d already be done with it anyways. It doesn’t really matter what you want to do; there are things to be done and you need to make like Nike and just do it!

3. Set realistic goals

You’re probably not going to get that 10-page research paper done in one day, or lose 20 pounds in a month. Instead, set small milestone goals that will keep you hopeful along the path to your ultimate goal. If you set an unrealistic goal, you’re just going to be disappointed when you don’t meet it.

4. Spend some time outside every day

Staying inside without getting any sunlight or fresh air is a fantastic way to become seasonally depressed. Yes, seasonal depression is real. Get out and do things! We live in New York City, so your excuses for staying inside are invalid. Go out and explore the city of opportunity.

5. Find a type of exercise that you enjoy

I know, I know. Seems impossible, right? Well there are tons of different ways to exercise other than flirting with death at the gym. There is yoga (my personal favorite, seriously- 10/10 would recommend), Zumba, boxing, pilates, barre, calisthenics, circuit training, high intensity interval training, workout videos, low intensity steady state… the list goes on and on! Exercise is the best thing you can do for yourself, body, and mind. Get those endorphins flowing and you will automatically feel happier and more motivated!

6. Let loose sometimes

Its okay, and in fact healthy, to let go every so often. College is definitely stressful; you’re working hard and often find yourself stressed out, but it’s also an incredibly fun time in your life where you don’t have too many responsibilities. Take a breather. Go out and enjoy yourself, everyone deserves to have a good time every so often!

7. Don’t be too hard on yourself

In the end, it’s all about making sure you’re being the best you, you can be! Remember that slow progress is still progress, and the only person you should be in competition with is who you were yesterday.

Hallie is a Junior at Pace University studying Communications with a double minor in Creative Writing and Women's and Gender Studies. She loves coffee and yoga and hates writing in the third person. 
Hello! My name is Josephine "Josie" Morenski, and I am from Detroit, Michigan. Currently, I am a Communication Studies major at Pace University in New York City, with a minor in Psychology. I am also a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Pace, Promotions Intern for Cumulus Media, and a Student Assistant at Pace University. Writing and blogging have always been a passion of mine, and I am excited to share my content with the Her Campus community.