Profile: Marcus A. Cardwell (’17)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

Name: Marcus A. Cardwell 

Year: 2017 

Major: Film and Screen Studies 

Hometown: Boston 

Zodiac sign: Cancer 

Marcus Cardwell is someone you should get to know if you don’t know already. Studying Film and Screen Studies full-time, Marcus has developed an eye for composition. Captivating beautiful portraits he is a photographer who isn’t afraid to take risks. On top of studies and being a photographer he somehow makes time to run his own YouTube channel. Marcus gives us insight on his new approach to his channel come this Spring. 

When did you start getting into photography? 

I started to dabble in photography in the beginning of my junior year, so, 2015. 

Who is your most influential idol? 

Desi Perkins, she’s a beauty vlogger on Youtube. She is quite possibly one of the most beautiful people I’ve ever seen and her reputation is flawless! 

What projects are you currently working on? 

I’m low-key shooting a photos series of self portraits in my room inspired by DIY culture. I’m taking anything and everything and trying to create art. I love to take pictures of the city on strolls, to see what new york wants to show me. 

What projects do you have planned for the future? 

I’m in the preproduction phase of a video series that helps high school kids and early college students better understand school and life in general, through the experiences of my friends and I. I’m also taking really cheap headshots, portraits, and 30 second reels come spring for any fellow artists/actors that are interested. I’ve actually already scheduled a few which is awesome, I really love to help where I can! 

Where is your favorite place to shoot? 

I really love to shoot in the village. I tend to produce good photos in that area and for the most part, it happens to be a great spot for my friends and I to have fun. 

Besides shooting, what is your favorite thing to do? 

If I’m not shooting, I usually sing, work on poses, or read articles about the diaspora or current social justice issues.

Music inspirations? 

Janelle Monae, St. Beauty, Remy Ma, Jidenna, Kirk Franklin, Toni Braxton, Dj Khaled and Big Sean. 

(https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCW6KiX7fxBHg5Sh9qvsK2TA)

Tell us about your YouTube channel! 

My YouTube channel is totally about to undergo a major change. I didn’t really know what I wanted to do, but I’ve decided, come spring, I will be much more active than I was before. Right now, you can see what journey’s I’ve gone on in the last year, as far as vlogging and traveling, which isn’t much. Hopefully, you’ll get a behind the scenes look at how I shoot my self portraits. 

Fun Fact: Every time I go out to shoot self-portraits or pictures of the city, I start singing for two hours straight. 

Hey guys, my name is Cas. I am a Senior at Pace Univeristy on the NYC campus. I am currently working on a dual degree in Communications and Fine Arts. I've been working with some friends of mine to start up our own creative platform called FUNKNVIBE. It's basically a way for artists, musicians, film makers and any creative minds to collaborate and create. When I'm not volunteering or with my FNV family I'm reading, dancing or working on my latest art piece. I hope to own and design my own publication showcasing the culture around me. I have a personal blog as well as my Her Campus page. I recently started up a blog with FunknVibe so definitely check it out!  I started out as the secretary at for HCPace but moved my way to VP and CC to now President. I love being able to give students on my campus a voice and connect new students to some type of a community. Her Campus has allowed me to organize myself better and find out what goes into running an organization. It's been an absolute joy and I hope for my last year we have one of the best!