A “The Lion King” Remake is in the Works!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

Remember how everyone ranted and raved about how beautiful the recent The Jungle Book (2016) remake was, featuring well-known celebrities such as Bill Murray, Scarlett Johansson, Idris Elba and Lupita Nyong’o? If you were a fan of that perfectly executed remake – you’ll be pleased to hear, The Lion King is getting the same treatment!

Knowledge of the remake went public today when news outlets revealed that Donald Glover (Community, Atlanta) had been cast as the voice of Simba. 

Details on the production thus far are slim – Jon Favreau (Elf, Iron Man, The Jungle Book) will return to the director’s chair for the remake and James Earl Jones will reprise his role as the voice of Mufasa.

The movie will employ similar photorealistic CGI that was used in The Jungle Book and was so highly praised for. This casting and project reveal comes during the recent lucrative trend of animated-to-live action films, such as the upcoming Beauty and the Beast remake and the planned Little Mermaid live action adaptation. Favreau has also hinted at a sequel to The Jungle Book but, it’s assumed that The Lion King will take priority amongst the rumored follow up film.

Hi! I'm a first-year student at Pace University in New York City. I'm a film & screen studies major. I was born and raised in New Jersey about thirty minutes from the city. Although, I've definitely lied and said I'm from NYC a few times. Who wouldn't? It's New York City. Anyway, I have an absolute passion for movies and television shows. I love Thai food, cats, tea, parks, art, and sleep. I'm an impulsive Amazon shopper who shouldn't have a Prime account. You can catch me in the streets always looking exhausted with a cup of coffee and my head buried in my phone.
Hey guys, my name is Cas. I am a Senior at Pace Univeristy on the NYC campus. I am currently working on a dual degree in Communications and Fine Arts. I've been working with some friends of mine to start up our own creative platform called FUNKNVIBE. It's basically a way for artists, musicians, film makers and any creative minds to collaborate and create. When I'm not volunteering or with my FNV family I'm reading, dancing or working on my latest art piece. I hope to own and design my own publication showcasing the culture around me. I have a personal blog as well as my Her Campus page. I recently started up a blog with FunknVibe so definitely check it out!  I started out as the secretary at for HCPace but moved my way to VP and CC to now President. I love being able to give students on my campus a voice and connect new students to some type of a community. Her Campus has allowed me to organize myself better and find out what goes into running an organization. It's been an absolute joy and I hope for my last year we have one of the best!