free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Expectations vs. Reality: New York City Internships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

After spending countless hours online applying everywhere, its finally paid off. You nailed your interview and you’ve officially landed your first internship; immediately, nerves set in. Despite your reservations, you head over to J. Crew and pick up your first pair of big girl pants (because the only dress pants you own have grease stains all over them from waitressing). While on Pinterest scrolling through “business casual” outfit inspirations, you think to yourself, “I could’ve sworn it was a minute ago that I was a freshman struggling with the concept of creating a LinkedIn account and now I’m in the real world” …

Expectations

I’m sure everyone has heard their fair share of intern horror stories. Unfortunately, the stories are true for a lot of employers. Some interns are their superior’s lackeys. You may have to do coffee runs and you may have some busywork because the full-timers simply don’t feel like doing it. And, you could get a boss who is straight out of The Devil Wears Prada, there’s always that. Suck it up buttercup; put in those 15-20 hours a week for the semester to build your resume and gain some “professional experience”. On the other hand, if you get lucky, an internship can be an unbelievably rewarding experience, you will acquire skills that you could never learn from a textbook or lecture hall. On my first day, a friend said something that stuck with me, “your internship is what you make of it”.

Tips for facing the realities

1.Get plenty of rest. This one is not optional. Your classmates don’t care when you roll out of bed five minutes before Stats but, your internship is not class, and your boss will notice if you look tired and unkempt. Go to bed at a decent hour so you won’t reach for the snooze button in the morning, otherwise your work will suffer if all you can focus on is trying to stay awake.

2.Bring a small notebook. If your internship is anything like mine, you will be learning new things all the time. Write it all down, even the stuff that seems insignificant or common sense; you’ll thank yourself later when it comes up again.

3.Ask questions. You are at your internship to learn and to help your team with the workload. No one expects you to remember everything right away; I assure you, your boss would rather you ask questions than try to get along on your own and make a mistake. You are smart! They hired you because they believed you would be a valuable asset to their team. I say this not to make you blush but, because some of your questions could bring up points your boss never thought of nor noticed, therefore, helping the company in the long run!

4.Dress comfortably. You will likely be sitting in the same spot for a long period of time so steer clear of stiff clothing or anything thick. Also, follow the dress code while being mindful of the way your coworkers dress as well. If you’re not sure of the office dress code, my advice is to dress on the professional side in the beginning and adjust from there. In the wise words of Oscar Wilde, “you can never be overdressed or overeducated”.

5.Wear sneakers during your commute. When I was little, I always wondered why women in Manhattan wore such nice outfits with simple Nike sneakers. Now, I know their secret: the heels were in their bag! If your internship’s dress code is business professional, don’t risk being late because you couldn’t put enough pep in your step to catch the train. If you think you look silly, you’re wrong, the women in business clothes and sneakers on the subway are corporate world rock stars!

6.Pack lunch and snacks. Bring lunch and snacks for throughout the day so you won’t waste $10-15 on food when you can bring your own. If you want to buy lunch and are looking for a cheap choice and opt for McDonald’s, you will immediately regret it. Packing lunch can mean healthier options and your break will be longer because you didn’t have to leave the office.

7.Keep your desk drawer stocked. I have my own desk at work where I keep a notebook, pens, hair ties, hand lotion, granola bars, a nail file, feminine products, a mug and my favorite flavor of Yogi tea bags.

8.NETWORK NETWORK NETWORK. Okay, this is a biggie. Talk to EVERYONE you meet at your internship and try to make lasting connections. Most business people love being asked about themselves and how they got to be where they are. Listen to their stories and gather ideas for routes you may want to take in the future. If you do right by these people while you work for them, the relationships you build can lead to more (maybe even better) opportunities once your internship comes to a close.

Junior at Pace University Major: Economics Minors: Marketing and Statistics Interests: baking cookies, binge-watching Grey's, petting dogs, and window shopping my way through Manhattan.
Hey guys, my name is Cas. I am a Senior at Pace Univeristy on the NYC campus. I am currently working on a dual degree in Communications and Fine Arts. I've been working with some friends of mine to start up our own creative platform called FUNKNVIBE. It's basically a way for artists, musicians, film makers and any creative minds to collaborate and create. When I'm not volunteering or with my FNV family I'm reading, dancing or working on my latest art piece. I hope to own and design my own publication showcasing the culture around me. I have a personal blog as well as my Her Campus page. I recently started up a blog with FunknVibe so definitely check it out!  I started out as the secretary at for HCPace but moved my way to VP and CC to now President. I love being able to give students on my campus a voice and connect new students to some type of a community. Her Campus has allowed me to organize myself better and find out what goes into running an organization. It's been an absolute joy and I hope for my last year we have one of the best!