Elton John: I’m Still Standing- A Grammy Salute

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

This past Tuesday, April 10th, “Elton John: I’m Still Standing- A Grammy Salute,” premiered on CBS. Artists Lady Gaga and Ed Sheeran, amongst others, performed, commemorating the life and works of Sir Elton John and his writer and long-time collaborator, Bernie Taupin. The night was filled with tear-jerker moments as artists reflected not only on Sir Elton’s artistry but his philanthropic work as well. While each artist sang a unique rendition of an Elton John song, my favorites were Lady Gaga’s rendition of, “Your Song,” and John Legend’s rendition of, “Don’t Let The Sun Go Down On Me.”

In classic Gaga fashion, she performed “Your Song,” wearing an all-white outfit, with huge white feathers extending out from her shoulders. Before she began the song, Gaga spoke sweet words to Sir Elton, telling him how honored she was to call him a friend and to have the chance to perform one of his songs for him. She ended the kind message by quoting one of Bernie and Elton’s songs, the one she’d sing soon after, telling Elton, “how wonderful life is while you’re in the world.” Gaga then completed her outfit with yellow-lensed glasses and began her performance. Her powerful voice did the quaint song justice and even earned her a standing ovation upon completion.

Much later in the evening came a performance by John Legend. Legend has a powerful, yet unique voice that made him a perfect artist to aid in commemorating the works of Sir Elton John. Prior to singing, “Don’t Let The Sun Go Down On Me,” Legend similarly spoke sweet words to Elton, humorously thanking him for, “making it cool to be a piano player,” as Legend plays the instrument himself.

This special premiered days after the release of Revamp: The Songs Of Elton John & Bernie Taupin, an album complete with artists who similarly commemorate the works of John and Taupin through covers of their songs. A favorite of mine off the album, despite not being performed at the salute, is Florence + The Machine’s cover of “Tiny Dancer.” Florence takes a gloomy approach to the song, but its simplicity makes for a beautiful cover. 

Hi! I'm Kate, and I'm a junior at New York University majoring in English.