Visiting Roosevelt Island

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

A little adventure in the city is basically a tradition, especially when you have a bunch of interesting options beyond the usual hot spots in Manhattan.

The Upper East Side especially has many things to look forward to. How about dessert at Serendipity 3? Or, yes, even channeling your inner Serena Van Der Woodsen for the night? Everyone loves the classic movie and television locations that captivated us from the big screen.

But what about, enjoying the sight of the Upper East Side from afar? That’s exactly what you can do by taking the Roosevelt Island Tram just a few blocks away from Dylan’s Candy Bar.

Interestingly enough, this city tram to Roosevelt Island is on your way to checking off a few things from your bougie neighborhood wish list.

First things first, boarding the tram is only a MetroCard swipe away. $2.75 per swipe guarantees you a way to and from the island.

Although the F train is another choice of transportation, a local advised us that letting the tram swoop you away is much more convenient.

Plus, who wouldn’t love having an aerial view of the city?

The island is not as spooky as it used to be. No more hospital or prison, just a nice little island of 11,500 people that has beautiful views at every corner.

Did I mention how arriving feels like stepping into an East Coast version of the Universal Studio’s Studio Tour? Well, the perfect grass, views, and architecture leave you feeling as if you were.    

This includes beautiful hills, especially by Cornell Tech’s architecturally enhanced campus.  Historical landmarks capture the essence of the island’s past like the Blackwell Island Light House, which conserves one of the islands previous names.

Next time you’re heading to the Upper East Side, don’t forget to stop by this cool attraction! And, you may also want to stop by some amazing dessert spots in that area, 10/10 highly recommend.

Xoxo, gossip girl

Hey!   I am a student and a Campus Trendsetter at one of the Big Apple's coolest campus (Pace University)! I love hiking during the summer and exploring the city on my free time, along with Yelping on the coolest restaurants around the country. Although the Golden Coast is where home is at, taking on the "City that never sleeps" has become my latest adventure!