Cheap Eats on a College Budget in the Financial District

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

Living in the Financial District as a college student has given me a mission — to hunt for the cheapest, most delicious food in my neighborhood! It can be tough in downtown Manhattan. Restaurants down here close earlier than in other areas and FiDi is known to be one of the more expensive areas in town. That being said, I’ve somehow managed to find amazing spots that don’t hurt my college budget one bit!

Sticky’s Finger Joint

Hands down, Sticky’s is my favorite spot on the list. The menu is straightforward, with chicken tenders and fries in the spotlight. The best thing about Sticky’s is their sauces! There are a variety of homemade sauces that will blow your mind and leave you standing in front of the menu for ten minutes trying to decide which ones you want. Personally, I recommend the Buttermilk Baby Ranch and General Sticky Tso sauces. My grand total for an enormous meal with leftovers to spare was under $12!

Aroy Dee

Love Thai food? Well, Aroy Dee is the answer to your prayers. I consider this spot to be FiDi’s hidden treasure and if you blink, you’ll probably miss it. Like so many others, Thai food has a special place in my heart. Unfortunately, it happens to be on the pricier side of the food scale. So, when I discovered Aroy Dee, which happens to be less than a two-minute walk from my front door, it was a dream come true. What else is a dream come true? Getting a large order of Pad Tai for $11 and add in some spring rolls for an extra $5.

Dos Toros Taqueria

If you’re over Chipotle and in need of a new Mexican joint, Dos Toros Taqueria will easily become your newest addiction. The menu is very similar to Chipotle with entrees like burritos, salads, quesadillas, tacos, and their own rendition of the “bowl,” a “plato.” But, I’ve got to say that in a battle between the two…Dos Toros Taqueria takes the Mexican cake. I totally recommend this up and coming spot if you want to walk in with a hungry stomach and out with a full wallet.

Hi there! I'm Sophie and a student at Pace University in New York City! A few of my favorite things are fashion, food, art, traveling, and exploring the city. I love to go on adventures- my latest one being my move all the way up north from sunny Miami, Florida to the hectic Big Apple.