7 (Lucky!) Reasons Why Roommates Are Life-Savers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

With all the hashtags for National Best Friend Day, National Sister Day and National Daughter day, it was about time to send a little love to the unsung heroes in our life—our awesome roommates.

Instant therapy

Roommates are the best kid of therapist—free ones. From whining about the three essays, two exams and three club meetings you had that day, to the boy/girl that won’t call you back, to the rude girl on the Starbucks line, your roomies always have your back, and an ear to listen. 

You can be yourself around them

Your roommates see you at your best and at your worst. From your pre-interview to your post-party looks, they’ve seen it all. They’ve also seen you eat an entire quart of Phish Food and has not judged you—not too much, at least! You’ve been there through the aftermath of a breakup when one of your roomies didn’t shower for five whole days and they pretend not to notice that you’ve been wearing the same shirt all weekend.

You can be weird togetherSeriously, there are no boundaries between you and your roommates. They’re the people who get those oh-so-flattering from the chin up Snapchat pictures while you’re in class or on the train, and the people you willingly share your old (and embarrassing) middle school selfies with and laugh along at the silly quotes you put underneath. They’re the people that you actually let watch you go all out at a karaoke bar or even playing Just Dance at your place. And they only make fun of you for it a little bit.

You’re always trying to “Out-Mom” one another

While you’ve been enjoying your freedom at college, you still feel like you should check in with your roommate before you go out. They always give you the best advice anyway. They help you find your way home after a long night out and you remind them to wear a coat when it drops below sixty degrees. 

Snacks are communalThere is no food envy between you and your roomies. What’s theirs is yours and what’s yours is theirs. While this can lead to a lot of “Oh wow, did we really eat a whole bag of Cheetos?” it also leads to a lot of communal complaining at the gym the next day. But no worries—they’ll totally motivate you to hit the treadmill if you promise to motivate them to tackle the elliptical.

You miss them even if it’s only been a few hours

Haven’t see your roomies since you left for your early morning class? Coming home feels like coming home for a long weekend. One of your roomies goes home for a weekend? You’re all still in constant communication (seriously though, if you aren’t in a crazy-active group chat together are you even roomies?). 

They make you the best version of yourself

It goes without saying that you see your roomie more than most of your friends. While most people might think that it’s crazy to love spending your free time with them, you think you’d be crazy not to. They’re always there to pick you up when you fall and to make you smile on your worst days. They are your biggest fans, and you’re theirs. Every day is like coming home to a pack of live-in cheerleaders who share in your triumphs and your hardships, too. You couldn’t imagine living with anyone else—you wouldn’t even want to.

Hello, gorgeous! My name is Allison Serpico and I am a Communication Studies/Applied Psychology and Human Relations major at Pace University! I've got a borderline addiction to coffee and discount Broadway tickets. I'm still trying to decide whether or not my hips lie.
Hello! My name is Josephine "Josie" Morenski, and I am from Detroit, Michigan. Currently, I am a Communication Studies major at Pace University in New York City, with a minor in Psychology. I am also a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Pace, Promotions Intern for Cumulus Media, and a Student Assistant at Pace University. Writing and blogging have always been a passion of mine, and I am excited to share my content with the Her Campus community.