6 Ways to Reduce Your Carbon Footprint

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

As New Yorkers, we are sometimes oblivious to the lifestyles we live. New York is a hub for consumerism; we are constantly bombarded by advertisements with underlying messages telling us the more we consume the happier we will be. New York City is the largest city in the United States with roughly 8 million people; although you would think with that many people we would be emitting massive amounts of carbon into the atmosphere, we have a relatively small carbon footprint compared to other major cities. A carbon footprint is defined as “the amount of carbon dioxide and other carbon compounds emitted due to the consumption of fossil fuels by a particular person, group, etc.”. There are a variety of factors that contribute to an individual’s carbon footprint including: the products you purchase, method of transportation, where you live, etc. Climate change is a scary topic, but there are many simple things you can do every day to help reduce your footprint.

1. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

The three R’s, we’ve all heard them before, but how many of us actively do them? You can reduce your amount of plastic waste by purchasing reusable containers. For example, I know many of us Pace students visit  Starbucks on a daily basis; that’s a large amount of plastic cups being thrown out every day. A way to reduce this is to purchase a reusable cup from Starbucks and to reuse it every day instead of getting a disposable cup for every order. And lastly, recycle every chance you get; Pace has recycling bins for plastic and paper on every floor, let’s make use of them.

1. Eat Less Animal Products

You might be thinking, what does this have to do with climate change? Quite a lot actually. Consuming animal products contributes to about 18% of greenhouse gas emissions. Livestock contributes to about 32,000 million tons of carbon dioxide being released worldwide every year. A way to reduce this number is to reduce your consumption of animal products and to purchase your groceries locally.

1. Change Your Method of Transportation

Transportation also plays a major role, being responsible for 13% of all greenhouse emissions. If possible, walk or bike to your destination, use public transportation, or carpool/share a cab when riding in cars. Almost every major black car service like Uber and Gett both offer car-sharing services that not only reduce your carbon footprint, but also significantly lower the cost of your ride.

1. If It Ain’t Broke Don’t Fix It

Living in a big city, we are constantly being told to buy, buy, buy. We see advertisements on subway cars, billboards, on the radio, and even by merchants yelling “Chanel, Gucci, Prada!” as we’re walking down Canal Street. Even if we pay no attention to them, subconsciously we are processing it all. Advertisements subliminally tell us that the more you buy the happier/more fulfilled you’ll be. Being from the South, I’ve heard the phrase “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” 100 times, but it’s stuck with me. Why purchase a new iPhone, for example, when the one you have is in perfect condition? You’re not only saving your own money, but saving the planet.

1. Reduce Energy Use

Another simple way to reduce your carbon emissions is to reduce the amount of energy you use. You can do so by unplugging chargers and other electronics when they’re not being used, purchasing energy efficient appliances and turning off the lights when you’re not in the room. So simple yet so effective.

1. Contact Your Representatives

Lastly, pay attention to what’s happening in your communities. Since Donald Trump has been president, he has been trying to move forward with plans to defund the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency), go forward with the Dakota Pipeline, remove us from the Paris Climate Agreement and begin drilling for oil in the United States. Trump has made it clear that he doesn’t believe in climate change despite the almost unanimous agreement within the scientific community that human activity is the main factor contributing to climate change. A way to stop Trump and his cabinet from moving forward with damaging policy change is to get in contact with your representatives and voice your opinions. To find out who your representatives are and how to contact them, visit: https://www.usa.gov/elected-officials

Find out what your carbon footprint is here: http://www.footprintnetwork.org/resources/footprint-calculator/

Sources: http://www.cowspiracy.com/facts/

Hey guys, my name is Cas. I am a Senior at Pace Univeristy on the NYC campus. I am currently working on a dual degree in Communications and Fine Arts. I've been working with some friends of mine to start up our own creative platform called FUNKNVIBE. It's basically a way for artists, musicians, film makers and any creative minds to collaborate and create. When I'm not volunteering or with my FNV family I'm reading, dancing or working on my latest art piece. I hope to own and design my own publication showcasing the culture around me. I have a personal blog as well as my Her Campus page. I recently started up a blog with FunknVibe so definitely check it out!  I started out as the secretary at for HCPace but moved my way to VP and CC to now President. I love being able to give students on my campus a voice and connect new students to some type of a community. Her Campus has allowed me to organize myself better and find out what goes into running an organization. It's been an absolute joy and I hope for my last year we have one of the best!