5 Tips for Surviving the OSA Line

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

After the warzone that is Registration Week, some of us may not have come out alive. While some lucky few will be able to slide into the spring semester with ease, some of us are going to have iron out the kinks before we can attend classes in 2016.  Whether you’ve have problems regarding getting into some of your most coveted class (COM 200, I’m looking at you!), getting holds of your account, or receiving loan money to be able to pay for one more semester, you’re going have to make a visit to The Office of Student Assistance (OSA).

But don’t fret, darlings, Her Campus has got some sure fire tips to make your trip the OSA window successful –or at least bearable!

1.Don’t visit OSA during common hour.

There is nothing worse than waiting on line for 40 minutes just to have a form signed. Save yourself some time and make your way over to OSA when it’s not so busy.  There will probably be no line in morning after the window opens at 9am.

2.Make sure you’re on the right line.

The only thing worse than waiting on line for 40 minutes is realizing that you were waiting on the wrong line the whole time.  Do yourself a favor and check the chart next to window to make sure your problem is OSA related and not Financial Aid related.  Just looking at the chart might save you a lot of time and stress.

3.Bring all your proper documentation.

Don’t forget your Pace ID, credit card, or any other form might need OSA to sign.  An OSA representation will also definitely ask for your University ID number. If you don’t have your 8-digit ID number memorized, make sure to write it down somewhere before you get to the OSA window!

4.Make a list of the questions you want answered.

Whenever I get to the OSA window, I instantly forget everything I wanted to ask them.  I don’t know if that’s just result of my stage fright or maybe OSA has put a mystical curse on their window, but regardless, it always helps to make a list of all the questions you want answered. That way you won’t have to come back to OSA anytime soon.

5.Be kind and respectful!

I know this is very hard to do sometimes, especially when your account is screwed up, and your schedule is screwed up and they’re telling you that you owe them money.  It seems like at times the people who work at OSA are truly evil witches who are out the get us, but that’s really not the case.  They are just doing their job, and they want to be able to help you sort out your problems.  The nicer you are to the OSA representatives, the more likely they will be helpful and respectful towards you.

Kristen Bianco is a junior english major with a concentration in writing and literature. She is a member of the Pforzheimer Honor college, and she's a staff editor for Aphros Literary Magazine. She always has approximately three books in her backpack at any one time, and she organizes her bookshelf by color.